Exceptional KM Examples #question #case-studies

Stan Garfield

I recently received this question: Which organizations are truly exceptional in practicing knowledge management?

How would you respond? Thanks.

John Antill

Stan
The IRS and NASA have an exceptional KM programs.
John Antill
M.S. KM
MCKM, CKS IA KT
Kent State MS KM Advisory Board Member
256-541-1229

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 5:56 AM Stan Garfield via groups.io <stangarfield=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I recently received this question: Which organizations are truly exceptional in practicing knowledge management?

How would you respond? Thanks.

CAUTION: EXTERNAL SENDER Do not click any links, open any attachments, or REPLY to the message unless you trust the sender and know the content is safe.

Cindy Young

John,

One of my students last year worked for the IRS where she was a KM project manager.  Everything she shared with me about their program was good and I was impressed by the cultural aspects she shared with me as well.

Regards,
Cindy

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 7:13 AM John Antill <jantill4@...> wrote:
Stan
The IRS and NASA have an exceptional KM programs.
John Antill
M.S. KM
MCKM, CKS IA KT
Kent State MS KM Advisory Board Member
256-541-1229

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 5:56 AM Stan Garfield via groups.io <stangarfield=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I recently received this question: Which organizations are truly exceptional in practicing knowledge management?

How would you respond? Thanks.

CAUTION: EXTERNAL SENDER Do not click any links, open any attachments, or REPLY to the message unless you trust the sender and know the content is safe.

Chris Collison

Three which spring to mind are:

  • Arup
  • International Olympic Committee
  • UNICEF

Each of them excellent in their own rights – strategic, holistic, innovative and impactful.

Cheers,

Chris

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 5:56 AM Stan Garfield via groups.io <stangarfield=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

I recently received this question: Which organizations are truly exceptional in practicing knowledge management?

How would you respond? Thanks.

CAUTION: EXTERNAL SENDER Do not click any links, open any attachments, or REPLY to the message unless you trust the sender and know the content is safe.

Chris Collison

Oh and one more:

  • Inter-American Development Bank

From: Chris Collison <chris.collison@...>
Date: Monday, 2 August 2021 at 13:06
To: "main@SIKM.groups.io" <main@SIKM.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SIKM] Exceptional KM Examples #question

Three which spring to mind are:

  • Arup
  • International Olympic Committee
  • UNICEF

Each of them excellent in their own rights – strategic, holistic, innovative and impactful.

Cheers,

Chris

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 5:56 AM Stan Garfield via groups.io <stangarfield=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

I recently received this question: Which organizations are truly exceptional in practicing knowledge management?

How would you respond? Thanks.

CAUTION: EXTERNAL SENDER Do not click any links, open any attachments, or REPLY to the message unless you trust the sender and know the content is safe.

Paul McDowall

I mentioned this a long time ago, but I'll say it again for those who might have joined since. Over the space of 16 years we saw virtually every (Canadian) government approach to KM, literally hundreds of attempts.  As the chairperson of the government's Interdepartmental KM Forum I was privileged to see these programs up close and personal.  Out of these hundreds of attempts we saw only three that I would class as 'successful', i.e., that had a direct and demonstrable business value impact for more than three consecutive years: the Auditor General of Canada, Defence Research and Development Canada, and my program at Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat.  In each case the KM program was directly aligned to the business needs and to contribute to the achievement of the business goals, and as such they garnered very strong senior leader support.

Dennis Thomas

Paul,

Congratulations on the success of your KM program.  I like that the emphasis is based on a business strategy and the alignment of the KM program to the business needs that supports that strategy.   Makes sense that the executive leaders would endorse the program.

I do have a couple of questions:
  • How broad was your program? Was it a Department wide program, or targeted to achieve a specific goal on behalf of the Board?
  • What kind of human capital components were involved in the program? Onboarding, blended in-person / eLearning, other?
  • Of these I am curious to know if ISD (Instructional Systems Design) was part of the planning, design, implementation, and delivery requirement?
  • What classes of knowledge were delivered? Documents, consumption-based Q&A? Explicit cognitive knowledge presented in eLearning formats?
  • How long has the program been in effect?
  • Is the program adaptive, meaning, does it evolve as external conditions change?
  • How large was the team that developed the program?
  • Are other departments looking at your program as a successful template?
So good to hear KM success stories.  That is why I am asking these questions.  KM needs to be celebrated every way we can.

Thanks for the good work!!

Dennis L. Thomas
IQStrategix
(810) 662-5199

Leveraging Organizational Knowledge

On August 3, 2021 at 9:26:51 AM, Paul McDowall via groups.io (paul_mcdowall@...) wrote:

[...]

Hi Dennis,
My apologies fir the tardy reply.  I'm attaching a pdf of the case study I wrote about the program.  It provides a much better and more fulsome understanding of the program than I could possibly relay here.
Best regards,
Paul

Dennis Thomas

Thanks for the update, Paul.  Fascinating read, but disappointing that one person killed the program you put together.  It’s actually a common theme.  Also, an impressive amount of passion,  thought, and leg work went into the project.  A remarkable achievement.  In the late 1990’s, early 2000’s, KM was focused on better document management and establishing systems to identify, track, and connect subject matter experts within organizations.  From my perspective, your dive into cross-silo, cross-functional training fell more into the Instructional Systems Design camp than KM per se, but you did it all.    Thank and good luck, Dennis

On August 8, 2021 at 7:14:39 PM, Paul McDowall via groups.io (paul_mcdowall@...) wrote:

Hi Dennis,
My apologies fir the tardy reply.  I'm attaching a pdf of the case study I wrote about the program.  It provides a much better and more fulsome understanding of the program than I could possibly relay here.
Best regards,
Paul

Patrick Lambe

Thanks Paul for such a frank and revealing case study - unusual and so valuable!

Patrick

Patrick Lambe
Partner
Straits Knowledge

phone:  +65 98528511

web:  www.straitsknowledge.com
resources:  www.greenchameleon.com
knowledge mapping:  www.aithinsoftware.com

On 9 Aug 2021, at 7:14 AM, Paul McDowall via groups.io <paul_mcdowall@...> wrote:

Hi Dennis,
My apologies fir the tardy reply.  I'm attaching a pdf of the case study I wrote about the program.  It provides a much better and more fulsome understanding of the program than I could possibly relay here.
Best regards,
Paul <LKM in TBS case study.pdf>

In a larger scale knowledge management project for F. Hoffmann-La Roche we have been aligning the KM project directly with the company strategy at that time. To kill the KM project would mean to oppose the company strategy. I have applied this logic ever since. However, there is still no 100% guarantee.

Regards,
Pavel

--
Dr. Pavel Kraus