Quantitative analysis of trust and/or psychological safety on knowledge sharing #trust

Robert L. Bogue

Friends –

I think that all of us here realize that psychological safety and trust are mitigating factors for the degree of knowledge sharing that happens in an organization.  I was looking to find some research on the topic to see if anyone had been able to quantify the relationship (even with caveats and limitations).   I’m trying to find a way to express the importance beyond just saying that it’s important – but I’m struggling to find a resource that articulates the relationship in a way that I expect would resonate with others.

Has anyone seen any research on this topic?

Rob

-------------------

Robert L. Bogue

O: (317) 844-5310  M: (317) 506-4977 Blog: http://www.thorprojects.com/blog

Want to be confident about your change management efforts?  https://ConfidentChangeManagement.com

Are you burned out?  https://ExtinguishBurnout.com can help you get out of it (for free)

Stephen Bounds

Hi Rob,

One of my pet topics of interest! We've covered this a number of times on RealKM. Here are a couple to get you started:

There is definitely good evidence of a positive association, but only a weak one to date. My suspicion is that we need to get better at isolating confounding factors to nail down conditions to maximise its effectiveness.

Cheers,
Stephen.

====================================
Stephen Bounds
Executive, Information Management
Cordelta
E: stephen.bounds@...
M: 0401 829 096
====================================

This isn’t on k sharing per se, but is about psychological safety and team effectiveness. Well-researched piece of work, from Google. https://rework.withgoogle.com/print/guides/5721312655835136/

--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC

All of my previous SIKM Posts

The Google article links to an article by Amy Edmondson, who has written a book on psychological safety and is the subject of my recent profile.

Tim Powell

The whole area of “knowledge sharing” KS is being re-examined as we speak.  Most everyone wants to share knowledge – up to, but not beyond, the perimeter where to do so would be counter-productive, or worse.  Trouble is, that boundary is highly permeable.  And dynamic – as networks are living organisms, people come in and out of them.

As you know, documents from Facebook’s internal KS system were recently "shared” with Wall Street Journal, where they became front-page news, with significant and ongoing adverse repercussions for Facebook.  Late last week Facebook began implementing restrictions on these internal discussions.  Unfortunate, perhaps -- but to be expected, given the circumstance.

Having myself come from a background in market/competitive intelligence, I find the whole idea of KS as risky as it is powerful.  To be used only with great care and awareness...

tp

TIM WOOD POWELL | President, The Knowledge Agency® | Author, The Value of Knowledge |

New York City, USA  |  TEL +1.212.243.1200 |

SITE KnowledgeAgency.com | BLOG TimWoodPowell.com |

From: <main@SIKM.groups.io> on behalf of Stan Garfield <stangarfield@...>
Date: Friday, October 15, 2021 at 7:55 AM
To: "main@SIKM.groups.io" <main@SIKM.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SIKM] Quantitative analysis of trust and/or psychological safety on knowledge sharing

The Google article links to an article by Amy Edmonson, who has written a book on psychological safety and is the subject of my recent profile.