February 2022 SIKM Call: Peter Morville - The Crossroads of Information Architecture and Knowledge Management #monthly-call #information-architecture

Lee Romero

This is a reminder of tomorrow's monthly call from 11 am to 12 noon EST.

  • February, 2022 SIKM Call: Peter Morville - The Crossroads of Information Architecture and Knowledge Management
  • Slides
  • For online chat, use the group chat in FreeConferenceCall.com.

SIKM Leaders Community Monthly Call

  • Where: (712) 770-4035 (US and Canada) Passcode 178302
  • International Dial-in Numbers
  • You can join online using your computer’s speakers and microphone at http://join.freeconferencecall.com/stangarfield
    - Online Meeting ID: stangarfield
  • If you join online, be sure to click on the phone icon and then choose your audio preference.
  • Please don't turn on video - this increases the size of the recording ten times.
  • If you have problems connecting, call customer service at 844-844-1322.
  • Occurs the third Tuesday of every month from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM Eastern Time (USA)
  • Community Site
  • Slides - There is no live screen sharing - you follow along by advancing the slides yourself.
  • Previous Calls
  • Future Calls
  • Calendar

Matt Moore

This looks very exciting! Will there be an actual polar bear on the call?

I am particularly intrigued by slide 31 "Emancipating Information Architecture"...

--
Matt Moore
M. +61 (0) 423 784 504

Lee Romero

Edited

Today we held our 198th monthly call. Thanks to Peter for presenting and leading the discussion, to those who spoke and posted in the chat, and to all those who attended. Please continue the discussion here by replying to this thread. Here are the details of the call.

Matt Moore 8:14 AM
It all sounds a bit fractal
Knowledge harvesting... (sowing, watering, cross-breeding)

Ginetta Gueli from Italy 8:23 AM
Great metaphor!

Ginetta Gueli from Italy 8:31 AM
How did you build the slides 23 and 24? Did you perform focus groups or 1-2-1 interviews or? How many? How long did it take to build those slides and finalize the solution?

Mohammad Hassanzadeh 8:44 AM
Thank you,
I have a question:
How can we differentiate between information architecture and database architecture? And can this discrimination help better manage information in the organization?

Tim Powell 8:45 AM
Thanks so much, Peter. I have used your books to open my eyes. I especially like your comingling of info design and org design. You really lived Drucker's "knowledge is the business."

Ginetta Gueli from Italy 8:45 AM
I agree that the students were the customers! Great work and thank you for the answer!

Tim Powell 8:45 AM
My question is, what (if anything) does IA have to say on misinformation -- the virus that plagues us all.

Chuck Piotrowski 8:45 AM
Thanks! How do you see IA and KM and AI working together?

Tim Powell 8:49 AM
Yes! Totally agree on K-12 info literacy education!

Ginetta Gueli from Italy 8:50 AM
misinformation generates lots of revenues ;-)

Bart Verheijen 8:52 AM
Personal note: I teach my kids to treat FB as marketing company and never a reliable source of info

Tim Powell 8:55 AM
I agree that there's way too much focus on the Supply side -- Section 230 et al. -- and way too little on the Demand side, as Peter and Bart are saying. It's the user biases and lack of expertise that is the real problem IMO.

Ginetta Gueli from Italy 8:55 AM
One of my unwritten tasks as Information and Knowledge Manager is to teach to different stakeholders how to not forget our "critical thinking" skill. It is hard...I must say, but IA can help in this sense, I think, because it let people stop and think/pause and learn.

Sharon Wilson 8:55 AM
Do you see Machine Learning and/or Natural Language Search reducing the need for taxonomy and tagging content for faceted search navigation and finability?

Connie Smith 8:56 AM
One of my favorite quotes is, "slow down to go fast." This seems to be a core problem as business/organizations seem to have it backwards. How do you get them to see value in "thinking before acting?"

Ginetta Gueli from Italy 8:57 AM
Show them the problems they created with their hands and then offer the solution and I think IA can help, because it structures a problem and then provides a solution :-)

Tim Powell 8:59 AM
@Connie Good question! More info -- especially when not well-findable -- can lead people to use information less -- info overloa.d

Sharon Wilson 9:00 AM
Google box wasn't any good 15 years ago