Selecting/Evaluating KM conferences #conferences

John Antill

Even though the Federal DoD KM Symposium is focused on the Federal workforce it is a great conference to go to. It is presented by AFCEA.

Murray Jennex

some more input:

The European KM conference is easy to get into, good for meeting other KM academics, but weak on research quality

The Association for Information Systems, AIS, has KM minitracks/tracks in their conferences:
ECIS, European Conference on IS is the best, harder to get into but good quality research and good place to meet KM researchers
AMCIS, Americas Conference on IS is easier to get into, but the research quality is lower, it is a good place to meet KM researchers
ICIS, International Conference on Information Systems, is very difficult to get into, the research tends to be a little weird, but the networking is excellent
PACIS, Pacific Conference on IS I don't know about.

There are several other KM conferences of smaller size, I can't comment on them

Murray E. Jennex

-----Original Message-----
To: main@SIKM.groups.io
Sent: Mon, May 2, 2022 7:37 am
Subject: Re: [SIKM] Selecting/Evaluating KM conferences

Thanks to Jennilyn for posting and to Murray for responding. Can anyone else reply with their recommended conferences?

Stan Garfield

Thanks to Jennilyn for posting and to Murray for responding. Can anyone else reply with their recommended conferences?

Murray Jennex

for an academic the best KM conference is the Knowledge, Innovation, and Entrepreneurial Systems Track at the Hawaii International Conference on Systems Sciences, HICSS. I say this because HICSS is Scopus listed, is considered to be the best IS research conference in the world, and the best paper dissemination of any conference, there are over 2 million downloads of papers over the last couple of years, and finally, HICSS papers are considered journal publication ready and many journals take them directly with proper acknowledgement of the conference. I am the track chair so I am biased, but the facts I've laid out are not my own. If you are in Australia HICSS is considered a B (unheard of for a conference)....murray jennex

-----Original Message-----
To: main@SIKM.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Apr 19, 2022 12:34 pm
Subject: [SIKM] Selecting/Evaluating KM conferences

As a new tenure track faculty member (bridging the library and KM disciplines), I find myself in the position of justifying my proposal submission choices regarding KM conferences to library faculty who lack familiarity with the discipline.

I am trying to get an idea of the various (and numerous) KM conferences and who their targets are, how the KM community views them, and their level of prestige as this information will help me back up my decisions.

This seemed like a good venue to ask fellow KM practitioners to share your thoughts on which of the KM conferences you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and insight,
Jennilyn Wiley
Assistant Professor| Business & Economics Librarian
Auburn University Libraries

Jennilyn Wiley

As a new tenure track faculty member (bridging the library and KM disciplines), I find myself in the position of justifying my proposal submission choices regarding KM conferences to library faculty who lack familiarity with the discipline.

I am trying to get an idea of the various (and numerous) KM conferences and who their targets are, how the KM community views them, and their level of prestige as this information will help me back up my decisions.

This seemed like a good venue to ask fellow KM practitioners to share your thoughts on which of the KM conferences you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and insight,
Jennilyn Wiley

Assistant Professor| Business & Economics Librarian
Auburn University Libraries