Case Study assignment #case-studies #content-management

Douglas Weidner

Dear Vandana,

Nice challenge and it seems you have asked many of the right questions..
Here's some possible clarifications and a new, emerging solution to just such needs.

In addition to:
1- If the required knowledge is available but not-easily accessible, OR
2- If the required knowledge assets are scattered across various content management platforms.

I'd focus as well on K Modes:both tacit vs explicit.  In most cases, there is much more (not easily accessible) tacit K than explicit K, but maybe that is what you meant by #1..

A reasonable and traditional KM solution might be Communities of Practice (CoPs), which I'm sure others will recommend..

However, at the KM Institute, we are experimenting--in our new Master CKM Program (MCKM), with the use of.a new mobile, collaboration app that includes gamification.  The use of mobile devices facilitates a more rapid response, which is typically an issue. And gamification enables scoring of contributions made by fellow Professionals (tax advisors and auditors), a form of 'Wisdom of the Crowd'. These features provide benefits that address your two solution and performance evaluation needs:

- what kind of technology apps, resources would you recommend to them, if applicable?

- what kind of metrics will you use to track outcomes?"

Finally, identified key contributors (quantity, but especially quality) can address some of your governance issues, while providing employee motivation that can be rewarded.

- what is your recommended KM governance framework and communication plan to address their changing needs?

This mobile app is an especially powerful solution for young professionals, who are often overlooked due to lack of seniority.  Such an approach will provide them early career visibility, while accelerating new staff learning. Also, 'engagement' will be increased with resultant continuous improvement by all.

What's not to like?

If you have any questions, please contact me directly at:douglas.weidner@...

Best wishes toward solving your challenge.

Douglas Weidner

Exec Chairman, Chief CKM Instructor, KM Institute  .

On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 3:04 AM Vandana Wadhawan via groups.io <vandanawadhawan=yahoo.co.in@groups.io> wrote:

Hello All,

I'm working on a learning assignment, a case study with limited details shared. I'm in a bit of fix since there are a lot of pieces left for assumption. I'm hoping to take some help and advice from experts here. Sharing the case study and my initial thoughts here; looking forward to your suggestions.

"A Tax and Audit business group within an enterprise is responsible for publishing latest reports and metrics basis the articles about latest policies published within an enterprise. Their biggest knowledge gap is that they constantly need updated knowledge articles to generate reports and insights based on the updated policies
As a KM for the group, I need to gather their requirements, partner with them to work on an approach that will address their knowledge gaps.
- what is your recommended KM governance framework and communication plan to address their changing needs?
- what kind of technology apps, resources would you recommend to them, if applicable?

- what kind of metrics will you use to track outcomes?"

This looks like a case of scattered knowledge to me. However, my
 first step would be to connect with the business group to understand:

--
Vandana W

Nikola Ristivojevich

Dear Vendana.

Tax and Audit are part of the regulatory reqirements. As such they should not be considered a scaterred knowledge but rather should be part of the policy and structured reporting process. In mature enterprises Tax is ususally tasked to Finance Dept. except innovation related spending/investment. Audit runs accross the board through many functional departments and metrics and reporting relly depends to what type of Audit we are talking about (e.g. IT audit differes from ESG audit).
How the reporting is done, what is the metrics, who is tasked, what is the frequency, etc. are decided by functional departments in charge following regulations and policies. Which applications are used is matter of the existing ERPs (or content Mgt. applications) and legacy influence.

Regards,
Nikola