Communities of practice, and right technology platforms, enablers to effectively facilitate the community #CoP

Vandana Wadhawan

Hi All,

Can you lead me to the resources and insights that talk about CoPs, and could answer following queries?
Happy to know your thoughts on how to establish a CoP with an aim to enable leaders (across different regions) to connect and collaborate for their priorities.
My 3 main questions:
- How will CoPs bring value to business? Any KPIs one could actively report?
- What enablers (technology, platform etc.) does one need to look into to facilitate a CoP?
- How does one plan about CoP sponsors, CoP members? and;  what must be done to keep them engaged in order to keep a CoP active and alive?

-VW

Nick Milton

Set of over 170 blog posts on CoPs

http://www.nickmilton.com/search/label/communities%20of%20practice

What makes a CoP successful – survey data

http://www.nickmilton.com/2019/08/what-makes-community-of-practice.html

Bigger CoPs are more successful, data shows

http://www.nickmilton.com/2019/06/bigger-communities-of-practice-are-more.html

Success factors for CoPs – evidence from the World Bank

http://www.nickmilton.com/2020/02/success-factors-for-communities-of.html

10 success factors for CoPs, from a Warwick business school study

http://www.nickmilton.com/2017/05/from-archives-10-success-factors-for.html

Why CoPs succeed and why they fail

http://www.nickmilton.com/2017/01/why-communities-of-practice-succeed-and.html

4 reasons CoPs die young

http://www.nickmilton.com/2018/11/4-reasons-why-communities-of-practice.html

4 ways CoPs can be embedded

http://www.nickmilton.com/2017/12/4-ways-in-which-communities-of-practice.html

Also several case studies in that collection

Nick Milton

Can you lead me to the resources and insights that talk about CoPs, and could answer following queries?
Happy to know your thoughts on how to establish a CoP with an aim to enable leaders (across different regions) to connect and collaborate for their priorities.
My 3 main questions:
- How will CoPs bring value to business? Any KPIs one could actively report?
- What enablers (technology, platform etc.) does one need to look into to facilitate a CoP?
- How does one plan about CoP sponsors, CoP members? and;  what must be done to keep them engaged in order to keep a CoP active and alive?

-VW

Stan Garfield

Chris Collison

Hi Vandana,

The European Commission recently published their Communities of Practice Playbook, which is both conceptually thorough and well presented.

The World Bank have drawn together a big toolkit resource on Cops here which addresses several of your questions, and there’s a nice piece here from Poala Storchi at UNICEF.

Hope these are helpful,

All the best,

Chris

chriscollison.com

kmcookbook.com

+44 7841 262900

@chris_collison

From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> on behalf of Vandana Wadhawan via groups.io <vandanawadhawan@...>
Date: Sunday, 8 May 2022 at 06:37
To: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io>

Hi All,

Can you lead me to the resources and insights that talk about CoPs, and could answer following queries?
Happy to know your thoughts on how to establish a CoP with an aim to enable leaders (across different regions) to connect and collaborate for their priorities.
My 3 main questions:
- How will CoPs bring value to business? Any KPIs one could actively report?
- What enablers (technology, platform etc.) does one need to look into to facilitate a CoP?
- How does one plan about CoP sponsors, CoP members? and;  what must be done to keep them engaged in order to keep a CoP active and alive?

-VW

Louis-Pierre Guillaume

Dear Vandana

Before jumping into the How, I would challenge the Why of this CoP
The main questions for me are:
  • Are these leaders willing to connect and collaborate?
  • Do they feel the need for that ?
  • Is there someone who wishes to take the lead ?
  • Who are these "leaders" ? Same organization ? Different organizations ?

Kind regards,

Louis-Pierre Guillaume
Increase performance by improving the efficiency of teams through engagement and collective spirit
+33 6 10 33 63 21
louis-pierre.guillaume@...

www.amallte.comBook a meeting

LinkedIn - Twitter - Medium

On Sun, May 8, 2022 at 7:37 AM Vandana Wadhawan via groups.io <vandanawadhawan=yahoo.co.in@groups.io> wrote:
Hi All,

Can you lead me to the resources and insights that talk about CoPs, and could answer following queries?
Happy to know your thoughts on how to establish a CoP with an aim to enable leaders (across different regions) to connect and collaborate for their priorities.
My 3 main questions:
- How will CoPs bring value to business? Any KPIs one could actively report?
- What enablers (technology, platform etc.) does one need to look into to facilitate a CoP?
- How does one plan about CoP sponsors, CoP members? and;  what must be done to keep them engaged in order to keep a CoP active and alive?

-VW

Randhir Pushpa

Hi Nick,

Thanks for sharing. This is a very good collection.
Regards
Randhir

On Sun, May 8, 2022 at 1:20 PM Nick Milton <nick.milton@...> wrote:

[...]

Ilaria Urbani

Hi Vandana,

I second what Chris said, the WB toolkit is indeed a very useful resource that can help in setting up and managing communities.

I would recommend you the following resources that supported me a lot in establishing some of the IFAD communities.

-          The WB’s Building Community: A primer (prior to the toolkit’s launch; it is a very detailed and practical publication with several templates you might adapt to your context/needs)

-          Attached a case study from UNICEF (Paola Storchi), this can help you a lot on the point you made about “the value communities can bring to business”.

-          The UNICEF’s Knowledge Exchange Toolbox, at the very end there is a whole section on Online Communities

Happy to connect and discuss about CoPs if you want!

Thanks and Best, Ilaria

Ilaria Urbani
Knowledge Management and Communities of Practice Consultant
Strategy and Knowledge Department (SKD)
Via Paolo di Dono 44, 00142 Rome, Italy
Tel. +39 06 54595051 | Mob. +39 3804353497

www.ifad.org

--- This email originates from outside of IFAD. Please be extra vigilant before you click on a link, open attachments or reply.

Hi All,

Can you lead me to the resources and insights that talk about CoPs, and could answer following queries?
Happy to know your thoughts on how to establish a CoP with an aim to enable leaders (across different regions) to connect and collaborate for their priorities.
My 3 main questions:
- How will CoPs bring value to business? Any KPIs one could actively report?
- What enablers (technology, platform etc.) does one need to look into to facilitate a CoP?
- How does one plan about CoP sponsors, CoP members? and;  what must be done to keep them engaged in order to keep a CoP active and alive?

-VW

~~ The information contained in or accompanying this email and any attachment thereto, is intended solely for the use of the stated recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential and/or privileged. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachment by anyone who is not a stated recipient is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the message and any attachment from your system without retaining a copy. ~~