Etienne Wenger's new book: 'Systems Convening - a crucial form of leadership for the 21st century' - role that sits above CoPs #CoP #books

Matthew Mezey

Etienne and Bev Wenger-Trayner have found a little-noticed yet crucial role sits above and across individual Communities of Practice, they call it the 'Systems Convener'.

You can download their new book for free and register for the book launch here: https://wenger-trayner.com/systems-convening/

More about convenors:
"Social learning across complex landscapes requires a certain kind of leadership, which we have called systems convening. Many people do this kind of work without any label, often unrecognized, and sometimes not even particularly aware that they are doing it.

A systems convener or systems convening team sets up spaces for new types of conversations between people who often live on different sides of a boundary. For example, a geographic, cultural, disciplinary, political, class, social boundary. These conveners see a social landscape with all its separate and related practices through a wide-angle lens: they spot opportunities for creating new learning spaces and partnership that will bring different and often unlikely people together to engage in learning across boundaries. A systems convener takes a “landscape view” of wherever they are and what they need to do to increase the learning capability of that entire landscape – rather than simply the capability of the space they are standing in. Importantly, a systems convener is someone who has enough legitimacy in different worlds to be able to convene people in those different worlds into a joint conversation."

Jorge Blanco

Thanks for sharing Matthew!

I have downloaded the book and registered for the webinar.

JB

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 5:52 PM Matthew Mezey <matthew.mezey@...> wrote:
[...]

John Carney

Yes thanks for sharing Matthew. I am a great fan of Bev and Etienne’s work and have attended a number of their excellent betreats which I would recommend. Personally social learning is the most valuable and in many ways most enjoyable tool in the KM toolbox but it’s certainly not the most simple or easy to see quick returns from. As a slight caveat though KM is such a broad church for me that it needs a range of personality types to cover it - I sort of feel the folk attracted to social learning leadership will inevitably be very different to some of those working on ICT tools implementation etc. Hope to see you on the call!

On 21 Aug 2021, at 00:19, Jorge Blanco <jorge.i.blanco@...> wrote:

[...]

Patrick Lambe

John:

I sort of feel the folk attracted to social learning leadership will inevitably be very different to some of those working on ICT tools implementation etc.

I think you are probably correct on this, but I also think that ICT tools implementation would get a hell of a lot better if social learning / participatory design practices were adopted!

In KM we are constantly beset, befuddled and betrayed by “lost in translation” boundaries between (a) beneficiary communities with needs  (b) knowledge managers with favoured approaches and methods (c) IT project teams with their standards procedures and project plans (d) systems integrators with their templates and contracts and (e) software houses with their current differentiators.

Patrick Lambe
Partner
Straits Knowledge

phone:  +65 98528511

web:  www.straitsknowledge.com
resources:  www.greenchameleon.com
knowledge mapping:  www.aithinsoftware.com

On 21 Aug 2021, at 3:11 PM, John Carney <John@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Patrick - and in return I agree with you !  in that there’s never enough emphasis on ‘technology agnosticism’ in solutions - thinking hard up front what you want to do and the poor people who have to do it - perhaps when we’ve all turned into AI bots or they do it for us we’ll be ok

Our challenge as ever is a communication one - I feel this personally as the team I lead look at the problem very differently to me - which of course is a good thing but makes coming to a consensus difficult! Perhaps this community could create a KM Babel machine where social learning types and ICT tools types magically learn how to communicate 😉

On 21 Aug 2021, at 08:20, Patrick Lambe <plambe@...> wrote:

John:

[...]

<SK18th_Anniv2020_emailfooter (2).jpg>

[...]

John: I suspect that that’s exactly the “machine” that systems convening is supposed to be!