Evolving collaboration plan/solution to KM strategy/implementation #case-studies #innovation #collaboration #startup #engagement

Sukhdeep Wasu

Hello fellow KMers! Hoping to pick on to your knowledge vaults and derive valuable insights 'specifically' for a government entity that I am currently engaged on.  They operate as a startup and have come in to existence about 1.5 years ago.  Therefore from a startup model/perspective, what relevant insights would you suggest, regarding any:

1.  KM best practices for startups.  I realize there are already a plethora of best practices out there (great ones shared by Stan, too).  However, this is with a zoom lens on startups.
2.  Overarching fun and innovative solution(s) (this entity is bold and happy to be a pilot to test or try out a new concept).  The products/information being produced by various groups for people to consume are: research papers, flyers, cartoon/animations, surveys, murals, podcasts and surveys amongst others.  The purpose is to disseminate these to various academicians, share publications or white papers.
3.  How would one make a solution 'sticky' whereby people get hooked to it?

In summary: The idea is to first work towards a collaboration plan and implement a collaboration solution and later, retrofit (or plug) that in to the knowledge management strategy and implementation of it.   Agreed this isn't an ideal way to work back-to-front, they are more the tangible sorts and want to get a sense of and implement a usable solution for an imminent event coming up this November.  It's a T-minus approach and the clock is ticking on them, and therefore the need of the hour is a fun/innovative solution & one that gets people hooked on to.

I'd be super grateful to hear from the collective here!

Cheers,
Sukhy

Stan Garfield

Sukhy, thanks for posting here.

Can any of the other members reply to Sukhy with proven practices for startups, innovative ways to disseminate content, and/or ways to get people hooked on using a solution? Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Hello Sukhy - It’s hard to for me to recommend prescribe something to help startups per your description for a couple of reasons:

1. A “startup” within an existing government agency operates under a different set of constraints than an actual startup.
2. I am not aware of any KM tools for specifically used for startups. You might check out Agile techniques, like Scrum, though, as that may be quite relevant to support a startup within a government agency.
3. KM does not exist as a solution in isolation to a business need. It’s not like, say, email. There are dozens if not hundreds of tools and techniques that fall under the heading of KM. In order to create a solution, you first need to define a business need, goal or challenge. From there you define current state including systems, culture/behavior, roles, org structure, etc, and what the challenge is in terms of those. And then you can begin to explore various types of KM intervention that might be relevant.

Good luck with your quest.
--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC

All of my previous SIKM Posts

Sukhdeep Wasu

Cheers Stan and Tom - for getting the ball rolling on this.

To add some context here:

1.  The entity that I'm working with are looking at 'innovative solutions' out there.  They are happy to be that trailblazer.  Budget isn't a constraint :) They operate in an agile manner, one I have forewarned them to consider a point in time when their foot is off the pedal and when they get to a cruising speed, given they're only a 1.5 year old organization.  It's an NGO/education sector based entity who have no CRM and they're busy running off in tangents with T-minus to achieve their deadlines.

2.  Their current aim is to have a collaboration solution in place (for one department first) - have this as a use case and retro-fit this/plug it into a at a later stage, an organization wide KM strategy.  They work with academicians, policy makers, researchers towards cutting edge stuff and want a medium to be able to collaborate between various contracted individuals worldwide.  List of products they are currently producing are murals, meeting minutes, flyers, cartoon/animations, podcasts, whitepapers, publications.  They need the solution to have the ability to (a) store/classify/use/re-use this in to converted knowledge (from information and data).

3.  They require the solution to be fun and innovative - one that is 'sticky' that will entice people to be on it/use it on a daily basis where this would not be a new way, rather another way for them to be equipped with running their discussions globally, capturing all the goodness from there and then disseminating it within the global group and within the wider organization.

Thanks in advance, all.

Cheers,
Sukhy

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 12:44 AM Tom Short <tshortconsulting@...> wrote:

[...]

Stephen Bounds

Hi Sukhy,

What you're describing is a desired system dynamic. This always boils down to attractors and blockers -- and remember that in this environment you are not the only one who can influence attractors and blockers, every individual and organisation will have them too.

{eople generally vastly overestimate the power of technology to create a desirable dynamic by itself. Rather, people's intent and interest in using a system will almost always boil down to a combination of personal, organisational, social, and cultural factors,

So I would spend some time identifying major stakeholder groups (in your case, this would likely boil down to contributors and users) and brainstorming both:

  1. Why would people want to use this system?
  2. What would stop them from using this system?

This should help provide some insights on the type of solution you need to implement.

Cheers,
Stephen.

====================================
Stephen Bounds
Executive, Information Management
Cordelta
E: stephen.bounds@...
M: 0401 829 096
====================================
On 7/05/2021 7:34 am, Sukhdeep Wasu wrote:

[...]

Nirmala Palaniappan

Hi Sukhy,

Here are some inputs I’d like to provide:

1. I’ve used an open-source platform in the past to help distributed teams collaborate using wikis, document folders, blogs and discussion forums. Would something like this work for you? [Wikis help with co-creation, discussion forums help with brainstorming and problem solving, blogs with ideation and document folders with dissemination]
2. Disseminating content happens automatically through notifications to anyone who is a member of a common workspace
3. Getting people hooked may be addressed outside of the technology platform through innovative branding, communication, gamification, dashboards, recognition and incentives. I created a dashboard based on points obtained for every goal achieved and had a technical team create a visual representation of this for the Top management to monitor
4. There are other online white-board solutions as well - in addition to collaborative workspaces - for teams that want to co-create content

Do let me know if you’d like me to elaborate on any of the points

Regards
Nirmala

On Fri, 7 May 2021 at 2:03 AM, Stan Garfield <stangarfield@...> wrote:
Sukhy, thanks for posting here.

Can any of the other members reply to Sukhy with proven practices for startups, innovative ways to disseminate content, and/or ways to get people hooked on using a solution? Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

--
"The faithful see the invisible, believe the incredible and then receive the impossible" - Anonymous

Sukhy wrote (emphasis added):

2.  Their current aim is to have a collaboration solution in place (for one department first) - have this as a use case and retro-fit this/plug it into a at a later stage, an organization wide KM strategy.  They work with academicians, policy makers, researchers towards cutting edge stuff and want a medium to be able to collaborate between various contracted individuals worldwide.  List of products they are currently producing are murals, meeting minutes, flyers, cartoon/animations, podcasts, whitepapers, publications.  They need the solution to have the ability to (a) store/classify/use/re-use this in to converted knowledge (from information and data).

The simplest way to get started on something like this might be Slack + Google Enterprise. (or MS Teams). Slack is designed for bottom/up adoption and stickiness. I wouldn't overthink this, especially if, as you say, they are operating as a startup. Just do it.