File/folder security education resources #resources

Michael Hutchens

Hi folks,

I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I work for a local government IT department. Our users have a huge variance in terms of IT awareness and skills - everyone from regional park rangers and dog control officers who are out in the field 95% of the time and rarely touch emails to finance and procurement staff in our main offices who are quite IT-savvy.

We have an Office365 implementation, with Delve turned on. Delve has highlighted for us that there is a lack of understanding within elements of our user base about file/folder permissions and personal IT security best practices. So I'm looking around for tools-agnostic resources (videos, web pages, documents) that I can share with my users that describe:

-What permissions are

-Why users need to be mindful of them/why they are important

Any hints and tips would really be appreciated (as well as more abstract advice about how to educate non-IT users about file/folder security) :)

Robert L. Bogue

Michael –

I’ve got specific detailed stuff on my web site about how it works and how to plan it – but nothing that will help users directly.

However, that being said, what is the content that’s “too open?”  Is it protected content (PII/PHI)?

Rob

Robert L. Bogue

O: (317) 844-5310  M: (317) 506-4977 Blog: http://www.thorprojects.com/blog

Want to be confident about your change management efforts?  https://ConfidentChangeManagement.com

Are you burned out?  https://ExtinguishBurnout.com can help you get out of it (for free)

[...]

Thanks for the response Robert :)

A major challenge we have with Delve is a perception issue - users are presented with aggregated or suggested Delve content and some don't really understand that what they are seeing is content that they already have access to. However, there is a degree of more legitimate PII-related concerns from some sectors as well, including HR and finance. User education will help with both of those factors.

This challenge is happening in the context of a recent and very high profile cyberattack in our country (https://www.newsroom.co.nz/ideasroom/a-cyberattack-lesson-from-waikato-dhb) which has raised the profile of information security significantly.