How do you answer the question: What is knowledge management consulting? #definition #humor #consulting

Dear Colleagues

I was at an event last week and I asked a few colleagues this question.  The answers surprised me…so…I wanted to get your take on this question and its answer.  In other words, how do you describe KM consulting when you may be asked this question?

Much appreciate hearing your answers.

Best

Bill

Learn more about the solutions and value we provide at www.workingknowledge-csp.com

Fred Nickols

It begins by clarifying what the other person means by “knowledge.”

Fred Nickols

Knowledge Worker

Learn more about the solutions and value we provide at www.workingknowledge-csp.com

Given—how would you answer based on your understanding of knowledge?

Learn more about the solutions and value we provide at www.workingknowledge-csp.com

Larry Jones-Esan

Dear Bill,

Nice to connect with you on this platform. Let's first and foremost define "Knowledge Absence." Knowledge is relative in nature. Knowledge of what? Or what is knowledge? A consultant managing knowledge?

KM Consulting – you need to determine an area of knowledge you are best at as a consultant.  There are loads of definitions of KM out there, but none is conclusive yet.

Happy to read your response. I have further propositions

Larry

Learn more about the solutions and value we provide at www.workingknowledge-csp.com

You’ve been around this field long enough time, Bill. What’s yours?
--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC

All of my previous SIKM Posts

I asked first 😊

Learn more about the solutions and value we provide at www.workingknowledge-csp.com

Chuck Georgo

I’d extend this definition a bit, to read:

“A KM consultant employs tools and tactics from many disciplines to assist organizations to achieve three key knowledge management objectives:1

  1. First and foremost, define the organizations knowledge needs, in the context of their mission and the products and services they seek to deliver;
  2. Architect and help implement human and technology processes that help that organization to effectively capture, develop, catalogue, and deliver needed knowledge to all lines of business; and
  3. Develop and implement a process for the organization to evaluate the value (ROI) and success of the resources it invests in KM.

Note 1: An effective KM consultant draws tools and tactics from the following disciplines: knowledge management, business analysis, enterprise architecture, change management, and project management

r/Chuck