How do you answer the question: What is knowledge management consulting? #definition #humor #consulting

Dear Colleagues

I was at an event last week and I asked a few colleagues this question.  The answers surprised me…so…I wanted to get your take on this question and its answer.  In other words, how do you describe KM consulting when you may be asked this question?

Much appreciate hearing your answers.

Best

Bill

Learn more about the solutions and value we provide at www.workingknowledge-csp.com

Fred Nickols

It begins by clarifying what the other person means by “knowledge.”

Fred Nickols

Knowledge Worker

From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> On Behalf Of bill@...
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2021 4:49 PM
To: main@SIKM.groups.io
Subject: [SIKM] How do you answer the question: What is knowledge management consulting?

Dear Colleagues

I was at an event last week and I asked a few colleagues this question.  The answers surprised me…so…I wanted to get your take on this question and its answer.  In other words, how do you describe KM consulting when you may be asked this question?

Best

Bill

Learn more about the solutions and value we provide at www.workingknowledge-csp.com

Given—how would you answer based on your understanding of knowledge?

From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> On Behalf Of Fred Nickols via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2021 14:27
Subject: Re: [SIKM] How do you answer the question: What is knowledge management consulting?

Fred Nickols

Knowledge Worker

Subject: [SIKM] How do you answer the question: What is knowledge management consulting?

Dear Colleagues

Best

Bill

Larry Jones-Esan

Dear Bill,

Nice to connect with you on this platform. Let's first and foremost define "Knowledge Absence." Knowledge is relative in nature. Knowledge of what? Or what is knowledge? A consultant managing knowledge?

KM Consulting – you need to determine an area of knowledge you are best at as a consultant.  There are loads of definitions of KM out there, but none is conclusive yet.

Happy to read your response. I have further propositions

Larry

From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> On Behalf Of bill@... via groups.io
Sent: 17 May 2021 02:48
Subject: Re: [SIKM] How do you answer the question: What is knowledge management consulting?

From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> On Behalf Of Fred Nickols via groups.io

Fred Nickols

Knowledge Worker

Dear Colleagues

Best

Bill

You’ve been around this field long enough time, Bill. What’s yours?
--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC
+1 415 300 7457

All of my previous SIKM Posts

I asked first 😊

From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Short via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2021 21:45
Subject: Re: [SIKM] How do you answer the question: What is knowledge management consulting? #consulting

--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC
+1 415 300 7457

Christoph Voegeli

I guess Tom is right .....Bill is a couple of years in the KM business .......chances are high that he knows .....

Adopted from Davenport ....A KM Consultant does  advise and support a company with 

: “........  the process of capturing, distributing, and effectively using knowledge.

Sincerely Chris

On Monday, May 17, 2021, 12:33:16 PM GMT+7, bill@... <bill@...> wrote:

I asked first 😊

From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Short via groups.io
Subject: Re: [SIKM] How do you answer the question: What is knowledge management consulting? #consulting

--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC
+1 415 300 7457

Grazyna Wykowska

Hi All,

I use this definition to explain my job as knowledge manager: supporting organizations in managing the risk of not being able to fulfil their mission now and in the future due to the lack of (access to) relevant knowledge.

Kind regards,
Grazyna

Christoph Voegeli via groups.io <manager4hotel=yahoo.com@groups.io> schrieb am Mo., 17. Mai 2021, 11:40:

I guess Tom is right .....Bill is a couple of years in the KM business .......chances are high that he knows .....

Adopted from Davenport ....A KM Consultant does  advise and support a company with 

: “........  the process of capturing, distributing, and effectively using knowledge.

Sincerely Chris

I asked first 😊

--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC
+1 415 300 7457

Madeleine Du Toit

I explain it like this….

I help our company figure out what Knowledge is important to better serve their customers and then provide a platform for them to house that knowledge and make it easier accessible.

Regards,

Madeleine

From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> On Behalf Of Grazyna Wykowska
Sent: Monday, 17 May 2021 11:52
To: main@sikm.groups.io

Hi All,

I use this definition to explain my job as knowledge manager: supporting organizations in managing the risk of not being able to fulfil their mission now and in the future due to the lack of (access to) relevant knowledge.

Kind regards,

Grazyna

Christoph Voegeli via groups.io <manager4hotel=yahoo.com@groups.io> schrieb am Mo., 17. Mai 2021, 11:40:

Sincerely Chris

I asked first 😊

--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC
+1 415 300 7457

Fred Nickols

I view knowledge as existing in three categories:  Explicit, Implicit and Tacit.  Explicit knowledge is the kind that has been captured and codified in the form of books, instruction manuals, explanations, etc.  Implicit knowledge is the kind that can be captured and codified but hasn’t yet.  Tacit knowledge can’t be captured and codified.  Most KM efforts seem to me to focus on the first kind.  For more about these three categories, see https://www.nickols.us/knowledge_in_KM.pdf

Fred Nickols

Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2021 9:48 PM

Fred Nickols

Knowledge Worker

Dear Colleagues

Best

Bill

Chuck Georgo

I’d extend this definition a bit, to read:

“A KM consultant employs tools and tactics from many disciplines to assist organizations to achieve three key knowledge management objectives:1

1. First and foremost, define the organizations knowledge needs, in the context of their mission and the products and services they seek to deliver;
  2. Architect and help implement human and technology processes that help that organization to effectively capture, develop, catalogue, and deliver needed knowledge to all lines of business; and
  3. Develop and implement a process for the organization to evaluate the value (ROI) and success of the resources it invests in KM.

Note 1: An effective KM consultant draws tools and tactics from the following disciplines: knowledge management, business analysis, enterprise architecture, change management, and project management

r/Chuck

From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> On Behalf Of Christoph Voegeli via groups.io
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2021 5:41 AM

Sincerely Chris

I asked first 😊

--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC
+1 415 300 7457

Tim Powell

There are several good ideas already in this thread.  I especially like this definition because: 

(1) it makes explicit that knowledge is a support role for other functions;

(2) it puts enterprise value (“better serve their customers”) at the center of the knowledge universe; and

(3) it’s clear, succinct, and non-jargony.

As you know, “consultant” is an unregulated and (for practical purposes) non-credentialed term.  Anyone can use it in any way they choose — even for what used to be called “salespeople.”  This means that each consulting practitioner can define it as befits his/her practice — and that the buyer/client must be aware of these differences.

I trained in pre-medical sciences, and I see my role as analogous to the enterprise as a physician is to the physical body — as a diagnostician and recommender of client-benefitting solutions.  I identify what is “broken” or non-optimal, and fix it — or provide ways the client can fix it.  I have developed tools for doing this — but frankly, one of the most effective ones is “points of pain” analysis — “Where does it hurt?”

My specific approach involves identifying and removing obstacles to the “knowledge value chain (KVC),” a model of customer benefit that I pioneered and that’s described in my book “The Value of Knowledge.”.  Any and all impediments to the production and use of data, information, knowledge, and intelligence are fair targets for intervention.

When in doubt, my guide is that if you think of how you would like to be treated by your physician, by analogy you’ll gain insights as to how your clients would like to be treated by you.

Happy Monday,

Tim

TIM WOOD POWELL | President, The Knowledge Agency® | Author, The Value of Knowledge |

New York City, USA  |  TEL +1.212.243.1200 | 

SITE www.KnowledgeAgency.com | BLOG www.KnowledgeValueChain.com |

From: <main@SIKM.groups.io> on behalf of Madeleine Du Toit <mdutoit@...>
Reply-To: "main@SIKM.groups.io" <main@SIKM.groups.io>
Date: Monday, May 17, 2021 at 6:16 AM
To: "main@SIKM.groups.io" <main@SIKM.groups.io>

I explain it like this….

I help our company figure out what Knowledge is important to better serve their customers and then provide a platform for them to house that knowledge and make it easier accessible.

Regards,

Madeleine

Hi All,

Kind regards,

Grazyna

Sincerely Chris

I asked first 😊

--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC
+1 415 300 7457

Douglas Weidner

Tim,
Excellent disclosure.

I especially like the medical analogy.

I use it as well with our Knowledge Maturity Model (MATURE).  It is a specific and structured form of KM consulting, but possibly with a more heavy dose of client personal health care as well -- for long-term sustainability.  

Specifically, rather than just a traditional assessment (aka diagnostic), MATURE provides a health-improving solution (aka prescription).  The healthful recommendations are based on our extensive research-based KM Methodology, which helps manage the prognosis as well. 

MATURE was designed just as you said, "how you would like to be treated by your physician.".

And, just as with medicine, the diagnosis and prescriptions aren't based solely on the particular expertise of the attending physician, but rather the entire KM Body of Knowledge (KMBOK)™.

Douglas Weidner
Chief CKM Instructor
KM Institute  

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 9:38 AM Tim Powell <tim.powell@...> wrote:

There are several good ideas already in this thread.  I especially like this definition because: 

(1) it makes explicit that knowledge is a support role for other functions;

(2) it puts enterprise value (“better serve their customers”) at the center of the knowledge universe; and

(3) it’s clear, succinct, and non-jargony.

As you know, “consultant” is an unregulated and (for practical purposes) non-credentialed term.  Anyone can use it in any way they choose — even for what used to be called “salespeople.”  This means that each consulting practitioner can define it as befits his/her practice — and that the buyer/client must be aware of these differences.

I trained in pre-medical sciences, and I see my role as analogous to the enterprise as a physician is to the physical body — as a diagnostician and recommender of client-benefitting solutions.  I identify what is “broken” or non-optimal, and fix it — or provide ways the client can fix it.  I have developed tools for doing this — but frankly, one of the most effective ones is “points of pain” analysis — “Where does it hurt?”

My specific approach involves identifying and removing obstacles to the “knowledge value chain (KVC),” a model of customer benefit that I pioneered and that’s described in my book “The Value of Knowledge.”.  Any and all impediments to the production and use of data, information, knowledge, and intelligence are fair targets for intervention.

When in doubt, my guide is that if you think of how you would like to be treated by your physician, by analogy you’ll gain insights as to how your clients would like to be treated by you.

Happy Monday,

Tim

TIM WOOD POWELL | President, The Knowledge Agency® | Author, The Value of Knowledge |

New York City, USA  |  TEL +1.212.243.1200 | 

SITE www.KnowledgeAgency.com | BLOG www.KnowledgeValueChain.com |

From: <main@SIKM.groups.io> on behalf of Madeleine Du Toit <mdutoit@...>
Reply-To: "main@SIKM.groups.io" <main@SIKM.groups.io>
Date: Monday, May 17, 2021 at 6:16 AM
To: "main@SIKM.groups.io" <main@SIKM.groups.io>

I explain it like this….

Regards,

Madeleine

Hi All,

Kind regards,

Grazyna

Sincerely Chris

I asked first 😊

--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC
+1 415 300 7457

--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC
+1 415 300 7457

Love this one

Bill

Sent: Monday, May 17, 2021 09:25

--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC
+1 415 300 7457

Patricia Eng

image.png

There are quite a few Dilbert cartoons related to Knowledge Management.  Here is another.

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 12:27 PM bill@... <bill@...> wrote:

Love this one

Bill

Sent: Monday, May 17, 2021 09:25

--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC
+1 415 300 7457

#definition - lots of definition discussions there. 
--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC
+1 415 300 7457

Kent Greenes

I’ve been a KM consultant for over 20 years. I help organizations and teams learn fast and maximize their collective know-how and experience to create new value and solve complex challenges.” 

On May 17, 2021, at 2:07 PM, Tom Short <tshortconsulting@...> wrote:

--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC
+1 415 300 7457

Murray Jennex

I am asking this with all respect and no negatives intended, but what does this definition actually mean?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon, May 17, 2021 12:03 pm
Subject: Re: [SIKM] How do you answer the question: What is knowledge management consulting? #consulting #humor #definition

I’ve been a KM consultant for over 20 years. I help organizations and teams learn fast and maximize their collective know-how and experience to create new value and solve complex challenges.” 

On May 17, 2021, at 2:07 PM, Tom Short <tshortconsulting@...> wrote:

--
-Tom
--
Tom Short Consulting
TSC
+1 415 300 7457

Murray Jennex

love it Tom!...murray

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon, May 17, 2021 9:24 am

--
-Tom
--
Tom Short Consulting
TSC
+1 415 300 7457