Topics

Institutionalization of KM #institutionalization

Maureen Kenga

Hello team.

Kindly recommend articles on institutionalization of KM that I can refer to.

Both in the public and private sector.

Regards

Stephen Bounds

Hi Maureen,

Over and above the generic management framework of ISO30401, do you have something specific in mind that you would like to learn about?

Cheers,
Stephen.

====================================
Stephen Bounds
Executive, Information Management
Cordelta
E: stephen.bounds@...
M: 0401 829 096
====================================
On 15/03/2021 4:11 pm, Maureen Kenga wrote:

Hello team.

Kindly recommend articles on institutionalization of KM that I can refer to.

Both in the public and private sector.

Regards

Maureen Kenga

Hi Stephen,
Thank you for your reply.

In Kenya, most government organizations talk about knowledge management but it has not really been institutionalized.
Our Kenya vision 2030 talks about knowledge economy but there is no clear structure on how to institutionalize KM.
I have an interest in doing research on how our Kenyan government can institutionalize KM as one of its functions such that the staff will be able to implement KM practically rather than doing KM in a passive manner and by word of mouth.

I am interested in articles that will enable me to articulate this problem comprehensively.

Regards.
Maureen Kenga

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 10:30 AM Stephen Bounds <km@...> wrote:

Hi Maureen,

Over and above the generic management framework of ISO30401, do you have something specific in mind that you would like to learn about?

Cheers,
Stephen.

====================================
Stephen Bounds
Executive, Information Management
Cordelta
E: stephen.bounds@...
M: 0401 829 096
====================================
On 15/03/2021 4:11 pm, Maureen Kenga wrote:
Hello team.

Kindly recommend articles on institutionalization of KM that I can refer to.

Both in the public and private sector.

Regards

Douglas Weidner

Hi Maureen,

At the KM Institute, we have used the phrase 'institutionalize KM' for a long time. just as we have used transformational since about 2005.

In the early 2000s, neither was popular.

However, now that we have actually experienced many disruptive phenomena, such as the impact of actually disruptive technologies, also a major episodic change in human occupations, and more, KM is being better acknowledged as a transformational discipline for the K Age/economy/society.

However, to institutionalize KM, you need a robust proven KM Methodology, which we have developed at the KM Institute, and have been working on since the mid 1990s. We  trademarked it as a component of the KM Body of Knowledge (KMBOK)™, in 1999.

The KMBOK has been much expanded since then, and now incorporates most all the modern, proven techniques for a K-Age transformation.

The KM Institute has documented these techniques in its many certification Programs and supporting workbooks and e-learning courses--especially the Certified Knowledge Manager (CKM), and further with the new Master CKM, to be released soon.

In late 2021, the new KM Institute Press (KMI Press) will be publishing detailed books on the specific topics of interest to you...and to many others as well.

Douglas Weidner
Chief CKM Instructor
KM Institute

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 3:48 AM Maureen Kenga <maureenkenga@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your reply Douglas.  Will surely read through it.

Maureen Kenga

On Mon, 15 Mar 2021, 8:20 pm Douglas Weidner, <douglas.weidner@...> wrote:
[...]

Andreas Brandner

Dear Maureen,

nice to hear from you here! As you may remember from the 2019 Global K4DP Conference in Nairobi, the Kenyan Ministry of Devolution and the Ministry of Planning are committed to develop a KM Policy and a KM Strategy for Kenya. These are available in a draft version, and the organizational structures are outlined there, we have been involved in that process. I recommend to connect with the Ministry of Devolution, who is responsible for KM in the devolved system and it would be great to discuss and further develop the policy/strategy in the Kenyan Knowledge Partnership.

There are several examples (practices, best practices) of KM in the public administration, spanning from Austria to Australia, and not to forget the UN, which are of course also public. The most recent KM Award 2020 for International Organisations has been given to UNICEF for their strategic and integrated KM Approach in KM, but there are other good examples as well, like IFAD (KM Award 2018).

KM in public/international organisations is slightly different than in businesses, as it should reflect social/societal aspects of sustainable knowledge societies as for instance outlined in the Agenda Knowledge for Development.

Kind regards

Andreas

wreath_outlined small

Dr. Andreas Brandner, Managing Director
Knowledge for Development Partnership

Gersthofer Straße 162

1180 Vienna
Telefone: ++43.1.470 29 09

Web: www.k4dp.org

Mobile: ++43.664.145 13 13
Email:
andreas.brandner@...

Skype: andeas_brandner

LinkedIn: andreas-brandner-30542

Knowledge is at the heart of sustainable development.

[...]

Kent Greenes

Andreas,

I may be in Nairobi late August and if so, happy to meet and share (gratis) my experience developing KM strategies & policies (I have co-developed these with over 40 organizations in the public and private sectors over the last 25 years).

Let me know if you’re interested and we can discuss further.

Best regards,

Kent

Kent Greenes

Senior Fellow Human Capital & Program Director:

TCB Knowledge & Collaboration Council

TCB Change & Transformation Council

Kent.greenes@...

Mobile: 760-450-6355

www.greenesconsulting.com

[...]

Ken Martin

Kent,

It has been a decade since we exchanged emails. Good to see you are still helping our the planet share the knowledge :)

Regards,
Ken Martin
214 603 6335
On March 16, 2021 12:28 PM Kent Greenes <kent@...> wrote:

[...]

LinkedIn
Web site
Google+

Kent Greenes

Thanks, Ken!

Still here, and learning 😊

It’s really great to observe the folks in this community sharing and evolving our discipline…the mantle has passed to some amazing practitioners!

Warm regards to you and all our fellow travelers,

Kent

Kent Greenes

Mobile: 760-450-6355

www.greenesconsulting.com

[...]

Dear Andreas, Kent and Ken

Thank you for in-depth feedback.
Will revert in case of any new need.
your response is highly appreciated

Regards,
Maureen Kenga

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 11:34 PM Kent Greenes <Kent@...> wrote:

[...]

Dear Kent,

Thank you for your kind offer, which is very much appreciated! I am located in Vienna, Austria 😊, but we can arrange a meeting online and of course in Nairobi with the local team of Knowledge for Development Partnership. Happy to connect!

Cheers