Interview with Stan Garfield (insights on CoPs) #video #CoP

Dan Ranta

All - this morning I had the opportunity to interview Stan Garfield.  Video Link: Stan sharing insights on CoPs (39 minutes).  Along with several SIKM members, Stan and I are on the Advisory Board of Kent State's Graduate KM Program.  If I am not mistaken, there are two graduate level KM programs in the U.S. - Kent State and Columbia.  There may be more outside the U.S., I am not sure.  Kent offers a 30-hour KM graduate program as well as an 18-hour KM certification program.

I am currently teaching a community course at Kent State as an Adjunct Professor and Stan graciously agreed to share his insights on CoPs.

Thanks again Stan for your time.

What do you think about Stan's insights?

Dan

John Hovell

Love it, thanks Dan, George Mason University has a long standing ODKM masters as well - https://schar.gmu.edu/programs/masters-programs/masters-organization-development-and-knowledge-management

Thanks,
John

On Jun 24, 2022, at 12:31 PM, Dan Ranta <danieleranta@...> wrote:

All - this morning I had the opportunity to interview Stan Garfield.  Video Link: Stan sharing insights on CoPs (39 minutes).  Along with several SIKM members, Stan and I are on the Advisory Board of Kent State's Graduate KM Program.  If I am not mistaken, there are two graduate level KM programs in the U.S. - Kent State and Columbia.  There may be more outside the U.S., I am not sure.  Kent offers a 30-hour KM graduate program as well as an 18-hour KM certification program.

I am currently teaching a community course at Kent State as an Adjunct Professor and Stan graciously agreed to share his insights on CoPs.

Thanks again Stan for your time.

What do you think about Stan's insights?

Dan

Hi Dan and Stan,

Great sharing and insights.

Best,

JC

From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> on behalf of Dan Ranta via groups.io <danieleranta@...>
Date: Friday, June 24, 2022 at 9:31 AM
To: SIKM@groups.io <SIKM@groups.io>
Subject: [SIKM] Interview with Stan Garfield (insights on CoPs)

All - this morning I had the opportunity to interview Stan Garfield.  Video Link: Stan sharing insights on CoPs (39 minutes).  Along with several SIKM members, Stan and I are on the Advisory Board of Kent State's Graduate KM Program.  If I am not mistaken, there are two graduate level KM programs in the U.S. - Kent State and Columbia.  There may be more outside the U.S., I am not sure.  Kent offers a 30-hour KM graduate program as well as an 18-hour KM certification program.

I am currently teaching a community course at Kent State as an Adjunct Professor and Stan graciously agreed to share his insights on CoPs.

Thanks again Stan for your time.

What do you think about Stan's insights?

Dan

Jennilyn Wiley

I am looking forward to watching this.

Having a MS in KM from Kent State, I am glad to hear of your and Stan's advisory role in the program. They also have a PhD program in Communication and Information that is highly customizable, which allowed me to continue my KM studies at a higher level.

I am happy to answer questions about my experiences in Kent's KM programs.

Jennilyn

Kendra Albright

Dear Jennilyn,

It’s nice to hear about your experiences at the MS in KM at Kent State.  I would love to talk with you about how we might involve you in our work at Kent State.  As an alumna of our program, your experience and insight would be welcome and wanted!

What people may not realize about our MS in KM is that we have recently revised the program, which will launch in the upcoming fall semester.  This program has been developed through rigorous processes including benchmarking with other programs, extensive course reviews and updates.  Our world-class KM Advisory Board which includes, among others, Stan Garfield, Jean Claude Monney, and Patricia Eng, who have all just recently posted in this discussion (please find the bios of all KM Advisory Board members here: Knowledge Management Advisory Board | Kent State University).  They were instrumental in working with us to update, revise, and streamline the program to now require 30 credit hours to complete, making it possible to complete in one year.  This streamlining also allows students to graduate with fewer credit hours than other MS in KM programs in the U.S., while maintaining a high quality, helping to hold down the increasing expenses of a graduate degree!

We are also in the process of creating additional opportunities for students in terms of internships, research projects, and other opportunities to network with other KM students and practitioners in the field.

One other point that you may not know about Kent State: it was recently designated as a prestigious Carnegie Classification Research 1 Institution.  This designation puts Kent State in the company of other R1 universities such as Yale, Harvard and the University of California-Berkeley.  Kent State becomes one of only five universities in Ohio to achieve this designation, joining Ohio State, the University of Cincinnati, Case Western Reserve University and Ohio University.

I am happy to answer any questions about the new program and I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Kendra

****

Kendra S. Albright, Ph.D.

Goodyear Endowed Professor in Knowledge Management

School of Information, Kent State University

Director, International Collaboratory on Knowledge Management Research

Editor-in-Chief, Libri, the international journal of libraries and information studies

IFLA Standing Committee on Knowledge Management

Having a MS in KM from Kent State, I am glad to hear of your and Stan's advisory role in the program. They also have a PhD program in Communication and Information that is highly customizable, which allowed me to continue my KM studies at a higher level.

I am happy to answer questions about my experiences in Kent's KM programs.

Jennilyn

CAUTION: EXTERNAL SENDER Do not click any links, open any attachments, or REPLY to the message unless you trust the sender and know the content is safe.