Knowledge management conversation #research #state-of-KM

Omid Omidvar

Dear community members,
I am an assistant professor at Aston University (UK-Birmingham) and I am part of a team (led by Davide Nicolini) that is conducting research on the state of the art in KM. We are trying to investigate where the community is heading and how the field is emerging. We have already spoken to some of the members of this esteemed community. Now, we are now entering the second phase of the research and are trying to expand our knowledge about the KM domain. So please get in touch if you have any availability.

In this phase of the research, we are also interested in getting views from practitioners who deal with KM in their daily roles. So if you are a KM manager/ practitioner in an organization, your participation will be much appreciated. Also, since we are attempting to develop a global understanding of the field, we would like to talk with practitioners who are in different parts of the world (e.g. Asia, Africa,...). After all, different regions may demonstrate variances in their dealings with KM and we would like to understand that.

Regardless, please get in touch if this grabs your interest. We will be more than happy to answer any questions. My email address is: omidvaro@...
Many thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.
Omid

Andrew Trickett

Hi Omid be happy to help out. I’m not available this week but will be free to chat from next Tuesday. As an Aston alumni 👩‍🎓 always pleased to be able to give something back.

Patrick Lambe

Hi Omid

Good to see that this important project is progressing. I have forwarded your message to colleagues who are working in KM roles in Singapore and Malaysia.

All the best

Patrick

Patrick Lambe
Partner
Straits Knowledge

phone:  +65 98528511

web:  www.straitsknowledge.com
resources:  www.greenchameleon.com
knowledge mapping:  www.aithinsoftware.com

On 14 Sep 2021, at 7:49 PM, Omid Omidvar <omidvaro@...> wrote:

[...]

Mohammad Hasanzadeh

Hi
I am interested in.
Regards
Mohammad

--
Mohammad Hassanzadeh (PhD)
Associate Professor and Head, Deptartment of Knowledge and Information Science

Robert M. Taylor

Omid, for reasons I can't fathom your old post appeared at the top to me as if it were the most recent! Anyway, given it's a few months old do you have any findings to share?
Your questions do interest me. It's surprising to me to see just how many people there are on LinkedIn, for example, with some kind of KM job title. But what they're all doing fall into some different clusters - and some rather different clusters to those we maybe originally envisaged. Many are involved with digital content, intranets and IT; some are on helpdesks or are community moderators; and just a few are involved in the change from an industrial to a knowledge-based paradigm. But I can see the relationship between them.
Equally, their future paths may be different. For a large number it's still going to be about information and probably AI-based automation. What's less clear I think is how widespread and strong is the appetite for the cultural change-related side of KM. It's curious that the pandemic has done more to smash industrial era concepts like the workplace than any amount of KM had up to then.
We still have a major difficulty with the diffusion of innovation and technology (and science) transfer from the labs and researchers into applied fields: the best new knowledge is slow to get adopted and many organisations are still run in a rather notional way without reference to science or the best know-how. Recent reports suggest that most organisations are still grappling with the same issues that they were 25-30 years ago wrt KM and my experience supports that observation. Maybe it's just too short a time to have expected more. Certainly we have a bigger KM industry than I expected, but it's a bit different to what I expected.