Looking for ideas to enhance KM in my team #call-center

Riya Sinha

Hello all,

Wishing everyone a happy 2022!

As we move in this year, I have been given the responsibility to lead the KM vertical. Its a new organization and a new team where I am supposed to work with Service Desk (right now its only me - we may have 3 people join in) - my main responsibility is considered to be:
  • Taking care of articles published on intranet sites for troubleshooting (article health)
  • Creation and maintaining of these articles / new ones
  • Connect with Service Desk - ensure to reduce tickets for service desk via the published articles
  • Create action points based on the feedback left by employees (on the articles)
We primarily use ServiceNow (for publishing articles), SharePoint and MS Teams.

KM is a part of a larger team where the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing! The entire team is very new!

I understand that I need to work on breaking the silos too however at first, I would like to focus on my priority, which is to streamline the process for KM (for articles and Service Desk).

I wanted to check if someone has worked in the similar environment and the changes implemented that has impacted the team. Please share ideas / thoughts that you think will help me and my team be successful from KM point of view!

Best regards,
Riya

Cindy Young

Riya,

Ok...Here's a small bit of what I have done and have seen work. It is by no means all-encompassing and is once the human side of KM. I had to explain to my VPs that KM is more than just portals and communications. It's about culture and people talking to other people. Assuming you have someone in a sponsorship position, have them work with the other verticals to identify a person to take KM on as a collateral position to interact with your team.  That gives you an "in" with each team. You'll want to find out what problem areas they have and once your team has spoken with all of the representatives, then you can share what you've learned to see if maybe another vertical can provide a solution. You want to eliminate knowledge hoarding and make it where they want to share what they know to prevent conflicts, It would be good if they had dedicated people in their verticals, but based on funding, that probably won't happen which is why it could be a collateral duty. Hopefully, your sponsor has experience with KM and was not just assigned the task.

I am adding a couple things.  An article I wrote for the ISE Management column and some KM short guides that may help you located here: https://www.cjyoungconsulting.com/kmshortguides/

What I've shared is just a tiny, microcosm of what you will probably get from this group, but it all starts with people.

Regards,
Cindy

On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 5:39 PM Riya Sinha via groups.io <riya.sinha80=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Stephen Bounds

Hi Riya,

I would strongly recommend you look into Knowledge-Centered Service (KCS), which is basically a pre-prepared KM methodology for strategically optimising service desk operations. ServiceNow is a KCS verified tool so it can be easily incorporated into your own implementation.

There are a few people lurking on the list who are experts in its adoption -- Aprill Allen is one I can highly recommend.

Cheers,
Stephen.

====================================
Stephen Bounds
Executive, Information Management
Cordelta
E: stephen.bounds@...
M: 0401 829 096
====================================
On 5/01/2022 8:39 am, Riya Sinha via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Stephen’s right. Aprill Allen is a great person to talk to!

Regards,
Cindy

On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 6:26 PM Stephen Bounds <km@...> wrote:

[...]

John Hovell

Here’s the first few minutes of a recent knowledge cafe that April presented at, if that’s supportive as well?

Thanks,
John

--

Riya Sinha

Thanks Cindy - I completely agree. I am sure there are a lot of pain points within the team and eliminating them would require open communication. Looking at it from KM Perspective, may be some of the pain points are common too! I will keep your suggestions in mind. Thanks again!

Riya Sinha

Hi Stephen,

I am not a KCS certified professional - are you suggesting I should get the certification? I have been on KCS site and have gone through some materials - is there anything specific you would like to direct me? It would be extremely helpful.

Thanks for sharing the the contact. Can I get in touch with Aprill, giving the reference of this group?

Please let me know.

Thanks a lot for your valuable time.

Best regards,
Riya

Stephen Bounds

Hi Riya,

Not necessarily - the level of formal certification would be up to you and your organisation. However, the advantage of KCS certification is that it demonstrates significant management commitment to the associated change program, particularly if managers undertake it themselves. (In this respect it is a kind of adjunct to ITIL.)

I would suggest having a look at the Quick Reference: Exit Criteria for Phases to start with. It's a nice summary of expectations and goals throughout the KCS adoption process, including a roadmap of activities to implement as part of a KCS program (or independently, if you preferred).

I'm sure if would be fine for you to contact Aprill direct, or I'm happy to make introductions - entirely up to you.

Cheers,
Stephen.

====================================
On 6/01/2022 12:25 am, Riya Sinha via groups.io wrote:

Hi Stephen,

I am not a KCS certified professional - are you suggesting I should get the certification? I have been on KCS site and have gone through some materials - is there anything specific you would like to direct me? It would be extremely helpful.

Thanks for sharing the the contact. Can I get in touch with Aprill, giving the reference of this group?

Please let me know.

Thanks a lot for your valuable time.

Best regards,
Riya

Pierre Maraninchi

Hi Riya,

KCS works extremely well as a KM framework for for any type of support desk environment (internal IT, customer support, HR desk...) where each new incident is an opportunity to capture or refresh knowledge.
As Stephen said, while the certification is not mandatory, it will provide you with key insights on the challenges you will face in your implementation journey, such as
  • securing leadership commitment (implementing KCS has a cost and a negative impact on agent performance in the beginning)
  • investing in culture shift and change management more than tooling
I've been leading and assisting KCS implementations for the past 10 years so feel free to reach out to me directly too if you want to discuss more on the topic.

--
Pierre

Mirna Lessinger

I have experience with KCS and it might be a good option for your use case. My perspective is that it's not a one-size-fits-all for support environments, unless you have a very typical call center environment with a lot of support issues resolved on first contact (or Tier 1 equivalent). If the nature of the issues is complex (technically speaking) that take multiple days to resolve or require more of a consulting approach to solve (rather than a typical how-to), you could still use some elements of KCS in certain cases, and some elements of it will apply, but for me it has made more sense to come up with my own framework based on where the org is, their goals, nature of the problems, etc. Happy to chat more or answer any questions.

Aprill Allen

Hi Riya,

Thanks to everyone for the mention. Yes, I’m a KCS trainer, so can help answer any questions about KCS.

I do have a 2-day training workshop coming up in APAC time zone. Let me know if you’d like details.

cheers,
Aprill

On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 at 6:26 pm, Pierre Maraninchi <pmaraninchi@...> wrote:
[...]

Founder and Managing Director | Knowledge Bird
Knowledge management consulting & KCS Trainer
M: +61 400 101 961
knowledgebird.com

Phil Verghis

Hi Riya,

Happy New Year to you as well...

As mentioned, KCS is the de facto standard for tech support/service desks for knowledge.

Here are two resources that should be helpful for you.

  1. https://my.demio.com/ref/1CZC2LyxcDdARUha. This is a 30 minute webinar I did last month that should address what you seeking to solve. (Note: the actual session starts about 2 and a half minutes in).
  2. RE: training. KCS is very powerful, but can be intimidating. We created a kinder, gentler self-paced version of KCS foundations (licensed from the Consortium) (see attachment for some of the modules). It complements KCS certified trainers like Aprill, or can be used to learn more or as a refresher.

Do reach out to Aprill and Myrna - both are excellent KCS resources. (And you can connect with me at: www.scheduleonce.com/philv_extra for a 'pay it forward, no selling' chat).

Context: have been involved with KCS for about 25 years as a practitioner and consultant and have worked with companies like ServiceNow, Salesforce and Red Hat on their knowledge/intelligent swarming initiatives.

Peace,

Phil (www.kleverinsight.com)

Peace,

Phil

PS Aprill, Myrna and others are excellent resources - and you should definitely touch base with them!