Quick Summary of KM Scope? #metrics #strategy #vision

Kim Glover

Hello all,

I've been asked a benchmarking question by a large group within our company, and thought I would reach out here to gather some input. They want to know what other companies are doing with KM. Can any of you share a brief overview of your scope? I'll start with an excerpt from a recent communication about our KM program.

"Our KM solutions are designed to enable employees across the globe to collaborate, share their knowledge and learn from each other - facilitating a learning culture in which we thrive and realize possibilities as people and as a business.

The solutions that form the backbone of our global Knowledge Management toolkit now include:

·                     The Bridge, chartered global networks optimizes knowledge sharing; members ask questions, challenge ideas, seek resolutions to issues and warn against repeating mistakes - regardless of location

·                     The Well, our enterprise wiki, features 3,000 pages generated by employees

·                     Experts Explain webinar series and Illuminate podcast, delivered weekly, feature subject matter experts discussing a variety of impactful and current business topics

·                     Facilitated Collaboration, two applications for crowdsourcing ideas and solutions:

-               Spigit, a large-scale ideation platform, allows groups to respond to challenges and find innovative solutions to business problems

-               Meeting Sphere, an engaging crowd sourcing tool, helps teams generate ideas, build consensus and expedite solutions quickly

Knowledge Management is an important part of our company’s learning ecosystem and there is something for everyone."

Note: we are positioned as internal consultants and provide knowledge-sharing and change management support for large, global initiatives, and are a sister group to Learning.

Nick Milton

Hi Kim – I don’t know if you already have this? Chapter 9 may be helpful

Best regards

Nick Milton
Knoco Ltd
www.knoco.com

www.facebook.com/knoco.ltd

www.linkedin.com/company/knoco-ltd
mobile +44 (0)7803 592947

email nick.milton@...

blog  www.nickmilton.com

twitter @nickknoco

Author of the recent book - "The Knowledge Manager’s Handbook"

"Ambition without knowledge is like a boat on dry land."
--Mark Lee

[...]

Dan Ranta

Hi Kim - Nick's chapter is excellent.  This one is also a good one.

It's the GE story and will provide a nice benchmarking opportunity.

Dan

--
Daniel Ranta
Mobile:  603 384 3308

David Graffagna

Hi Kim,

We’re only 1 ½ years into our formal KM journey here, but we have a good working model for moving forward, we have leadership support, and we’re focusing on some key areas to add value as we build out for the long-term. Let me start by framing the context in which we are developing (e.g., how we have defined and described KM for our audiences); this portion is rather generic but it sets the tone.

Challenge: How might people, processes, tools or technologies be enhanced or applied differently to improve, facilitate and standardize our capture, exchange and leverage of knowledge, information, resources and expertise?

Definition: Facilitating access to those core things that make us a success. Connecting people with the resources they need (who and what), at the most opportune points in time so they can do their best work and add value to the organization.

Vision: To create an effective and efficient knowledge-sharing and collaboration environment and culture that contributes to our success.

Goals: Tackling these goals has a positive impact on marketplace success, strength and growth. Overall, our goals for KM are to:

  1. Increase speed to capture and find resources, knowledge, and expertise;
  2. Improve leveraging of, and insight from, what we know;
  3. Reduce cost, time, redundancies;
  4. Enhance quality and value of resources;
  5. Simplify, expand, and facilitate ease of access to resources and expertise;
  6. Improve work experience for employees;
  7. Preserve knowledge assets from decay and departure.

Specifically, our focus is around a few areas:

  • KM Hub … our ever-evolving, centralized site (aka “front door”) to a wide variety of key resources, access to expertise, etc.
  • KM-related Communication … using various internal communication vehicles and approaches to promote and enhance better knowledge-sharing and collaboration.
  • Lessons Learned … finding better, more standard ways to capture, share and deliver value (e.g., apply learnings) from project- and process-related lessons learned.
  • Project Management … delivering guidance, resources, training and support to enhance the effectiveness of the organization’s project management skills and approach.
  • SME Network … framing, developing and delivering an effective network of SMEs, providing easier access to experts, defining core competencies and skills related to strategic areas, building a pipe-line of next generation SMEs.
  • Leverage KM-Related Opportunities with Other Areas … we don’t live in isolation of KM-related efforts and activities in other areas of the organization. An ongoing assessment of when, where, how and why we would get involved and what support we would provide to KM-related opportunities in other areas of the organization. Some examples might include supporting COPs, developing content resource repositories, identifying and establishing process standards, developing playbooks, etc.

Hope that helps!

Best,

David

Stephen Bounds

Hi David,

It sounds like you have some great foundations and traction, so can I ask how you intend to address the following questions:

  • How are you evaluating the success of your initiatives?
  • Which purpose-aligned business metrics are you ultimately targeting for improvement by your KM program?
  • How do you intend to sustain the interest and financial support of your organisation in the work that you're doing?

To be blunt, the historical risk with many KM programs is that once there is a change in sponsor or leadership, the initiatives quietly get shelved when they can't demonstrate tangible value. I'm genuinely interested to hear your thoughts and reasoning.

Cheers,
Stephen.

====================================
Stephen Bounds
Executive, Information Management
Cordelta
E: stephen.bounds@...
M: 0401 829 096
====================================
On 19/05/2021 12:48 am, David Graffagna wrote:

[...]

Stephen,

Great questions. I know from personal experience how changes in sponsors or leadership can impact KM initiatives so demonstrating value is key. It is also imperative to remain aligned as organizational goals change, new functions or areas of emphasis arise, or organization structure changes are implemented.

Without getting into a lot of detail, we assess our KM success based on a number of things, some of which are specific to individual initiatives. For example:
  • User Perception/Customer Satisfaction … we regularly survey our end-user audiences on how and they are using KM, where they are finding the most value (e.g., what's the perceived value of our efforts/initiatives), what issues they are typically trying to solve with KM, where they would like to see changes/enhancements to our efforts, etc.
  • Direct Alignment with Business Unit & Functional Area Leadership … we have established liaison relationships with leadership from various areas of the business allowing us to: a) provide those leaders with insight into how people in their areas are using KM, b) continually align our efforts with their goals, c) ensure KM is getting more and more embedded in their work processes, d) identify new or expanding areas where we can offer support, etc.
  • Practical Measures … typical measures such as site visits and resource usage, content ratings, content/resource submissions, etc.
  • Tying to Leadership Reporting Vehicles … connecting some of our efforts directly into reporting tools used by leadership to assess projects (e.g., lessons learned as part of quarterly leadership reporting dashboard).
  • KM Mentions … a bit selfishly, we also follow when, where and how often KM is mentioned/referenced in a wide variety of communication vehicles (e.g., CoP discussions, business area presentations/town halls, intranet articles/posts, internal newsletters, etc.)
Not certain that answers 100% of your questions Stephen, but that is where we are 18 months into our journey.

Best,

David

Dennis Thomas

This thread has been an excellent learning experience.  Though we are a technology company, not consultants per se, we have honed two definitions that may be of value to this forum.  They are:

 Organizational Knowledge – The aggregate value of an organization’s workforce knowledge related to its strategies, structures, products, services, functions, procedures, tasks, and processes that employees, partners, and suppliers must know to accomplish organizational goals and objectives. What customers need to know to enhance their understanding and use of an organization’s products and services.

Knowledge Management (KM) – Coordinated activity of identifying if and where the cognitive knowledge of an organization exists, how it is used, and how that knowledge flows through the organization to optimize organizational goals and objectives.  KM is concerned with the overall development and alignment of operational, product, and service knowledge, workforce talent and skills, and workforce cultures.  KM is an umbrella term that includes Change Management, Training & Development, Learning & Development, Instructional Design, Lean, and ISO Quality Management.

Dennis L. Thomas
IQStrategix
(810) 662-5199

Leveraging Organizational Knowledge

On May 19, 2021 at 10:15:03 AM, David Graffagna (davidgraffagna@...) wrote:

[...]

No, that's great David -- you've identified a nice range of specific and broad metrics there, including internal and external reports.

If you don't mind me probing a little further:

  • What have you found works best for surveys? Periodic or ongoing (ie just having a self-survey form online for anyone to fill in)? Single questions or a more comprehensive effort?
  • Do you track your various liaison efforts (as you might in a CRM for more traditional customers)? Does it concern you if you identify an area that is neutral or hostile to your efforts, or are you just focusing on serving those receptive to your needs?

I am asking as much for the group as for myself. I think it's so important for everyone to hear real stories about how KM initiatives play out!

Cheers,
Stephen.

On 20/05/2021 12:14 am, David Graffagna wrote:

[...]

As I have mentioned, we're pretty early in our journey so we don't yet have enough history or evidence to say if either our survey or liaison efforts are (or will be successful). Having said that, our survey is bi-annual and comprehensive (e.g., half a dozen focused questions and a couple on demographics). And, it's a directed effort … we send the survey to our broad audiences, give them a 10 days - 2 weeks to complete then close it and review the input.

On the liaison front, the intent is not to formally "track it" but rather to use those interchanges as a way to stay connected, anticipate new or enhanced needs, and to get out in front of any issues. Fortunately, our audiences have been receptive and we welcome them challenging us with "how can you add value to my area?" type questions. Obviously some areas (and some individuals) more easily see the value than other areas … it would worry me if that weren't true.

Best,

David