Using internal podcasts - case studies from companies #podcast #case-studies

Vlad Gidea

Hi,

We are looking into how can audio be used internally by companies in order to improve the engagement rates of internal communications, in particular our assumption is that podcast-style audio interviews between employees can become a better tool to convert tacit knowledge into explicit knowledge (Nonaka, 1995), and sharing the lessons learned and insights in a way which is more engaging to employees can lead to the creation of new knowledge and practices.

With the goal of making tacit knowledge explicit via the audio-medium, conversations become transparent across the organization and new insights can be source.
My question is if you know companies of KM practitioners which have covered the topic and might have any measurable results.

Audio-based training (in a L&D sense) could also be useful to review.
Video-based solutions are shown to not be as effective long term (for documenting, retrieval etc), but for short term use cases (demos, updates) services such as Loom have shown to receive a lot of interest.

Happy new year,
Stay safe <3

Hello Vlad - I don't know of any companies that are using podcasts/audio the way you have described. A couple of thoughts:

1. When I was working on KM in the utility industry we were exploring use of video tutorials for standard field procedures (e.g., how to change a breaker on a 600 volt panel). The thought was we could have one lineman video another lineman doing the procedure, and then add it to a searchable archive.

2. For audio, the approach would be similar. The trick would be to find use cases/solutions that would lend themselves to the audio medium. This would be a function of both the type of procedure - one that lends itself to audio-only description - and the consumption of it by the intended audience for it. Who is the intended audience and what are the scenarios where these podcasts would be consumed; and what hardware infrastructure would support that?

3. As for tacit knowledge sharing, consider Nonaka and Takeuchi's breadmaking example. The way this tacit knowledge was "converted" to explicit knowledge was really in the creation of a new type of bread making machine. There was no tacit-explicit-tacit transfer at all. All someone had to do was buy the resulting breadmaker. When I worked in the utility industry, there were lots of procedures that would not have been worth codifying, because they were executed in response to events that twere so random in occurance, that it was unlikely they would occur the same way again. So codifying the procedure for addressing them wouldn't have really helped anyone in the future. On the other hand, employee to employee interviews might be a useful way for identifying "who's an expert" on various topics. A catalogue of these might them be useful as a type of expertise directory. Just a thought.

4. Given the extensive growth of podcasts and online learning on the internet, I wonder whether there are already podcast channels out there that do something similar to what you're envisioning. Might be worth researching a bit as a way of getting a line on what types of tasks or knowledge the podcasts are effective at transmitting, and give you ideas about same for your needs.

Good luck with your effort. Do let us know what you figure out
--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC

All of my previous SIKM Posts

--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC
+1 415 300 7457

All of my previous SIKM Posts

Dan Ranta

Vlad - I recently implemented a Podcast strategy for a client.  It turned out to be an outstanding way to transfer knowledge - as Tom and you have discussed in this thread.  It fits nicely, as well, into the overall communication plan for the organization.  There are many details that we put into play to make this work.  Here are some highlights:
  • I wrote an overall podcast governance document explaining our approach - only 2-pages.  Lots of the information for this document I discovered online, other details were quite specific to the client.
  • The podcasts were all moderated by a regional executive - she was very open to this and she did an excellent job.
  • We sought to "make the world a smaller place" with the podcasts and help us overcome the formal hierarchical nature of the organization.
  • We limited the podcasts to 12-15 minutes in length - this can be challenging to do.  We knew people were very busy so making them crisp and interesting were key objectives.
  • We wrote the questions for the moderator to ensure we covered the key topics efficiently and of course the exec went off-script at times.  This made the podcasts even better.
  • We used TEAMS to record the podcasts (they were nice flowing conversations).
  • We had some nice branding for the podcasts.
  • We created a regular rhythm - dependent on schedules.
  • We selected podcastees based on their successful project activity and in that way we made it a "reward" and an honor to be a podcastee.
  • We tracked the metrics of the podcasts - I ended up being off-the-charts popular.
I the end - I was easy and successful...exceeding our expectations.

Dan

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 5:37 AM Vlad Gidea <vlad@...> wrote:
[...]

Daniel Ranta
Mobile:  603 384 3308

Rory Huston

Hi,
I think Edwin K. Morris from the Because you need to know podcast does this for some companies internally.
Because You Need To Know - SPECIAL 2020 EDITION with Snowden and Shelley by Because You Need To Know hosted by Edwin K. Morris (soundcloud.com)

Also, I know my CILIP K&IM Committee colleague Helene Russell has done something like this but short, video based KM sharing for a client (was one of the entries in the CILIP K&IM Awards).

Edwin K. Morrris

All Concerned,
Thanks @Rory for pointing me to this discussion.
We have offered podcasting as a service for three years now. Very exciting and a creative way to capture and share.  https://pioneer-ks.org/about/programs/

Nobody listens to podcasts you say?

According to Nielson US consumers invest nearly 12 hours a day to media consumption according to the Infinite Dial 2020 report weekly consumption of podcasts of 6 hours and 39 minutes. Further it points out that listenership crested 100 million podcast consumers in 2020

Did you ever consider reimagining how you communicate internally and externally?

Content might serve a different element and purpose in the form of a podcast.

Questions? I have answers.

Yours in knowledge.
Edwin

Check out our latest podcast:  Because you need to know

Subscribe by Email

+1.716.501.8980  Office

https://pioneer-ks.org/

Jaye Lapachet

I don't disagree that podcasts are popular and useful ways of communicating information. I encourage you to think about the practicalities:
  • Who is the target?
    • FTEs?
    • Contractors?
    • Janitorial Staff?
    • Engineering?
  • If people don't have an office, where will they listen?
    • Are they required or encouraged to listen on personal time?
  • Will they have to download the podcast to a personal device?
  • Will there be an alternative for them if they don't want company information on a personal device?*
    • will you have a supply of devices people can check out?
  • Will the software / apps be available to listen on their work computer or tablet?
  • Will they have the rights to download the software / apps to their work computer?
Jaye

*Personal devices can be subject to legal holds if they have company information on them

Kim Glover

Hello @Vlad and everyone,

We've had podcasting as a component of our KM portfolio for quite a few years now. The Illuminate podcast is discussed in detail in this excerpt from a KMWorld presentation by one of our internal product managers for the podcast: https://www.kmworld.com/Articles/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=145826c . The podcast is utilized for change management, internal communications and blended Learning and KM initiatives. I'll admit that I was a little skeptical when one of our team members brought me the idea back in 2016, but I'm a big believer now.

I'm also a believer in Edwin's "Because You Need to Know" KM podcast. And grateful to you, @Edwin, for being a guest on Illuminate!

Let me know if you'd like more information, @Vlad, and I can set up a benchmarking session with you and the team. And, I look forward to learning from you as you as you embark on your journey.

Kim