What is the current/future role of AI in the KM processes? #art-of-KM #AI #collaboration #methods #knowledge-capture

Ginetta Gueli

Dear SIKM leaders,
my name is Ginetta Gueli and I am information and Knowledge Manager.  I am currently co-working on a university research project in collaboration with prof. Luna Leoni (University of Rome Tor Vergata, Italy).
As you may know, Industry 5.0 calls for the adoption of a human-centric approach for digital technologies (including artificial intelligence) that requires an upskilling and deskilling of the workers, particularly in terms of digital skills. All of this have an impact on the knowledge management of organizations and so on firms performance. However, it is still not clear if and how these new digital technologies may practically help knowledge managers in their job within organizations, facilitating and improving knowledge mining, management and dissemination. This is particularly true when referring to the role that Artificial intelligence (AI) may play in terms of Knowledge management (KM) practices within organizations. So our key starting question is: what is the current role of AI in the KM processes? And if none, what role AI will play in the future of KM?
The topic is hot, and we aim to build a practical and concrete report (i.e. a paper) that can be useful to understand the status quo and the way forward.
In this respect we are looking for Knowledge Manager/KM professionals who are concretely implementing AI solutions in their organizations (no restrictions of size, country, type of business, etc.) and would like to get in contact with them to set up an interview.
If you are interested to know more on content, timing, privacy of the interview, etc., or you know anyone that could be, please drop me an email or answer to this thread by 31st July 2021.
We are very much looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you for the positive consideration and kind regards,
Ginetta
NB: to know more us, please visit our IN profiles :-)
---
Ginetta Gueli
Information & Knowledge Manager | Project Manager

Ginetta - a couple of thoughts.

1. AI on its own still needs experts to tell it what to do!
It’s unclear to me whether AI will have any particularly different role in enterprise KM than it does anywhere else its being successfully applied. Namely, AI provides a way to encode heuristics (from human experts) that are then used to process vast amounts of data at rates and volumes that are beyond the capabilities of a human. For example, UC Davis is working with wild land fire protection agencies to develop AI-based fire detection systems. https://wifire.ucsd.edu/commons. These systems rely heavily on experts to tell the AI what to look for. Without that initial seeding, the AI would be more prone to errors.

2. ML+AI = ??
Adding ML (machine learning) to the wild land fire application might be effective, helping the AI get better at distinguishing between conditions that represent an imminent threat and those which do not. And perhaps that is where there might be an interesting impact on KM: an AI coupled with ML could teach itself to do things that an expert human operator would not have ever figured out (viz AlphaGo, for instance). Here, a KM function in an enterprise setting might be tasked with identifying the best use cases and opportunities to apply an AI+KM solution using criteria like speed, accuracy, cost-avoidance, etc.

3.
 KM: it’s all about re-use!
You wrote: >>>knowledge managers in their job within organizations, facilitating and improving knowledge mining, management and dissemination<<<

As a side note I’d add re-use to your list here. Collecting, organizing, and disseminating doesn’t result in value creation until re-use occurs. So monitoring, tracking and encouraging re-use is an important part of the knowledge manager’s job, I believe.

Good luck with your efforts - let us know what you conclude and how it goes!
--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC

All of my previous SIKM Posts

Ginetta Gueli

Hello Tom,
thank you for your useful insights! Regarding points 1 and 2, definitively this is something that we would like to know more. At the moment we are in the explorative phase with a super open mind. Let's see what will be the results :-)

Regarding point 3: I could not agree more with you. Indeed I should include it and mhmm...does AI can help Kmanagers to do it better than now? Something to investigate on...

Thanks again for the good luck and keep you all posted.
All the best,
Ginetta

PS: the "Wifire" example looks interesting, I should contact them in case someone is willing to have an interview with us. If you know anybody, just let me know and I will try to contact him/her via LinkedIN? Tx!