World Bank examples? #case-studies


Ninez Piezas-Jerbi
 

 Hello,

Was wondering if I could reach out to the experts in this community. Would you know of specific examples of World Bank KM initiatives that have directly and positively benefitted their Member States (and not just the bank itself)? If there are links to them that would be helpful.

I’d be so grateful.

Many thanks,
Ninez
World Trade Organization


Ivan Butina
 

Hi Ninez,

I’m not sure about the current situation, but the WBG used to be quite engaged in KM with its government partners. A few initiatives that come to my mind are:

- The Knowledge Hubs, through which the WBG was working with a government agency to develop their KM capacity hence becoming a knowledge hub also for others (it was related to South South Knowlege Exchange as well), https://olc.worldbank.org/content/knowledge-hubs-cop
- Related to that this guide was developed in becoming a knowledge sharing organization, https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/handle/10986/25320
- The Tokyo Development Learning Center has been benefiting lots of government agencies. At times WBG CoPs would be actively involved in a technical lerning program developed for participate form governments, https://www.worldbank.org/en/programs/tokyo-development-learning-center
- The WBG has many CoPs that include members for governments, so they are a channel from which they might be benefiting as well. You can find all many of these externally facing CoPs at C4Dhttps://collaboration.worldbank.org/content/sites/collaboration-for-development/en.html

The colleagues who were running these programs are Steffen Soulejman Janus (Hubs and the guide) and Phil Karp (TDLC).

These are not specific examples, but I hope they are useful leads to get to them. 

Best,
Ivan 


On Apr 10, 2021, at 2:28 AM, Ninez Piezas-Jerbi <npjerbi@...> wrote:

 Hello,

Was wondering if I could reach out to the experts in this community.   Would you know of specific examples of World Bank KM initiatives that have directly and positively benefitted their Member States (and not just the bank itself)? If there are links to them that would be helpful.

I’d be so grateful.

Many thanks,
Ninez
World Trade Organization






Ninez Piezas-Jerbi
 

Thank you, Ivan!  Much appreciated!


On 10 Apr 2021, at 14:05, Ivan Butina <ivan.butina@...> wrote:

Hi Ninez,

I’m not sure about the current situation, but the WBG used to be quite engaged in KM with its government partners. A few initiatives that come to my mind are:

- The Knowledge Hubs, through which the WBG was working with a government agency to develop their KM capacity hence becoming a knowledge hub also for others (it was related to South South Knowlege Exchange as well), https://olc.worldbank.org/content/knowledge-hubs-cop
- Related to that this guide was developed in becoming a knowledge sharing organization, https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/handle/10986/25320
- The Tokyo Development Learning Center has been benefiting lots of government agencies. At times WBG CoPs would be actively involved in a technical lerning program developed for participate form governments, https://www.worldbank.org/en/programs/tokyo-development-learning-center
- The WBG has many CoPs that include members for governments, so they are a channel from which they might be benefiting as well. You can find all many of these externally facing CoPs at C4Dhttps://collaboration.worldbank.org/content/sites/collaboration-for-development/en.html

The colleagues who were running these programs are Steffen Soulejman Janus (Hubs and the guide) and Phil Karp (TDLC).

These are not specific examples, but I hope they are useful leads to get to them. 

Best,
Ivan 


On Apr 10, 2021, at 2:28 AM, Ninez Piezas-Jerbi <npjerbi@...> wrote:

 Hello,

Was wondering if I could reach out to the experts in this community.   Would you know of specific examples of World Bank KM initiatives that have directly and positively benefitted their Member States (and not just the bank itself)? If there are links to them that would be helpful.

I’d be so grateful.

Many thanks,
Ninez
World Trade Organization






Ninez Piezas-Jerbi
 

Thank you, Ginetta! 
Best,
Ninez


On 10 Apr 2021, at 17:24, Ginetta Gueli via groups.io <ginetta.gueli@...> wrote:

Hi Ninez,
try to reach Davide Piga, who run The WBG CoP programme. He is a KM4Dev member (as you :-)) and you can write to him via KM4DEV dgroups.io, in case. He worked with Bruce Summers and Ray Eisenberg.

Hope it helps.
Kind regards,
Ginetta
--
Ginetta Gueli
Information & Knowledge Manager | Project Manager


Steve Denning
 

Hi Ninez,

If you want to learn more about the origins of the World Bank's efforts in knowledge management in the period 1996-2000, you can find it in my book, "The Springboard" (2000), which tells that story in detail. It includes a number of examples of how governments were helped by sharing knowledge.

The book also shows how the conception of the knowledge management at the World Bank was external in focus from the outset. The goal was to enable the World Bank become more effective in helping its clients.

I left the World Bank in 2000. The World Bank has regrettably remained fairly bureaucratic, and as in many large firms, knowledge management has been bureaucratized and has often been corrupted into a set of internal information sharing activities.

That's one reason why my work hsd moved on to deal with the more central problem of why so many big organizations are still being run as bureaucracies, when we know how to do so much better. If you want to follow this line of inquiry, you can find it in my book, The Age of Agile (HarperCollins, 2018) and in my Forbes column, https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevedenning/ where there are many articles on this subject.

I hope that's helpful.

Steve Denning
The Age of Agile featured in The Economist
The Age of Agile in the Financial Times 


On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 1:25 PM Ninez Piezas-Jerbi <npjerbi@...> wrote:
Thank you, Ginetta! 
Best,
Ninez


On 10 Apr 2021, at 17:24, Ginetta Gueli via groups.io <ginetta.gueli=libero.it@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Ninez,
try to reach Davide Piga, who run The WBG CoP programme. He is a KM4Dev member (as you :-)) and you can write to him via KM4DEV dgroups.io, in case. He worked with Bruce Summers and Ray Eisenberg.

Hope it helps.
Kind regards,
Ginetta
--
Ginetta Gueli
Information & Knowledge Manager | Project Manager


Ninez Piezas-Jerbi
 

Thank you, Steve! Will definitely check out your book!  

Best,
Ninez


On 10 Apr 2021, at 21:46, Steve Denning <steve@...> wrote:


Hi Ninez,

If you want to learn more about the origins of the World Bank's efforts in knowledge management in the period 1996-2000, you can find it in my book, "The Springboard" (2000), which tells that story in detail. It includes a number of examples of how governments were helped by sharing knowledge.

The book also shows how the conception of the knowledge management at the World Bank was external in focus from the outset. The goal was to enable the World Bank become more effective in helping its clients.

I left the World Bank in 2000. The World Bank has regrettably remained fairly bureaucratic, and as in many large firms, knowledge management has been bureaucratized and has often been corrupted into a set of internal information sharing activities.

That's one reason why my work hsd moved on to deal with the more central problem of why so many big organizations are still being run as bureaucracies, when we know how to do so much better. If you want to follow this line of inquiry, you can find it in my book, The Age of Agile (HarperCollins, 2018) and in my Forbes column, https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevedenning/ where there are many articles on this subject.

I hope that's helpful.

Steve Denning
The Age of Agile featured in The Economist
The Age of Agile in the Financial Times 


On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 1:25 PM Ninez Piezas-Jerbi <npjerbi@...> wrote:
Thank you, Ginetta! 
Best,
Ninez


On 10 Apr 2021, at 17:24, Ginetta Gueli via groups.io <ginetta.gueli=libero.it@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Ninez,
try to reach Davide Piga, who run The WBG CoP programme. He is a KM4Dev member (as you :-)) and you can write to him via KM4DEV dgroups.io, in case. He worked with Bruce Summers and Ray Eisenberg.

Hope it helps.
Kind regards,
Ginetta
--
Ginetta Gueli
Information & Knowledge Manager | Project Manager


Bahar Salimova
 

Hello Ninez,

Thank you for this question. I recommend looking at our report on World Bank's Knowledge Flow published in 2019 - https://ieg.worldbankgroup.org/sites/default/files/Data/reports/kfc.pdf

It has both the examples of what has operationally worked well and where we recommended the World Bank to fine-tune its knowledge flow. A note that some institutional changes has happened in the World Bank since the release of this report, but I think it provide a good overview.

You may also look into our older report on Knowledge-Based Country Programs - https://ieg.worldbankgroup.org/sites/default/files/Data/Evaluation/files/kbcp_eval.pdf It is a but older but still shares some examples.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Bahar

-----Original Message-----
From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ninez Piezas-Jerbi
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2021 2:28 AM
To: main@sikm.groups.io
Subject: [SIKM] World Bank examples?

[External]

Hello,

Was wondering if I could reach out to the experts in this community. Would you know of specific examples of World Bank KM initiatives that have directly and positively benefitted their Member States (and not just the bank itself)? If there are links to them that would be helpful.

I'd be so grateful.

Many thanks,
Ninez
World Trade Organization


Ninez Piezas-Jerbi
 

Thanks so much, Bahar! I have added these to my list!

Best,
Ninez

On 14 Apr 2021, at 15:40, Bahar Salimova via groups.io <bsalimova=worldbank.org@groups.io> wrote:

Hello Ninez,

Thank you for this question. I recommend looking at our report on World Bank's Knowledge Flow published in 2019 - https://ieg.worldbankgroup.org/sites/default/files/Data/reports/kfc.pdf

It has both the examples of what has operationally worked well and where we recommended the World Bank to fine-tune its knowledge flow. A note that some institutional changes has happened in the World Bank since the release of this report, but I think it provide a good overview.

You may also look into our older report on Knowledge-Based Country Programs - https://ieg.worldbankgroup.org/sites/default/files/Data/Evaluation/files/kbcp_eval.pdf It is a but older but still shares some examples.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Bahar
-----Original Message-----
From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ninez Piezas-Jerbi
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2021 2:28 AM
To: main@sikm.groups.io
Subject: [SIKM] World Bank examples?

[External]

Hello,

Was wondering if I could reach out to the experts in this community. Would you know of specific examples of World Bank KM initiatives that have directly and positively benefitted their Member States (and not just the bank itself)? If there are links to them that would be helpful.

I'd be so grateful.

Many thanks,
Ninez
World Trade Organization










 

Hi Ninez

I wrote this for the Bank a few years ago: Technical assessment of open data
platforms for national statistical organisations
https://documents.worldbank.org/en/publication/documents-reports/documentdet
ail/744241468334210686/technical-assessment-of-open-data-platforms-for-natio
nal-statistical-organisations

The objective was to build out open data publication technical capacity, and
provide a standards benchmark. There's also the Open Data Readiness
Assessment initiative http://opendatatoolkit.worldbank.org/en/odra.html

The results from open data initiatives have been mixed (my own project
experiences ranging from the amazing, to the frustratingly hostile), but it
helps to remember where even the Bank was a decade ago. Data management has
gone from randomly-structured spreadsheets released at random intervals to
random schemas and metadata definitions, to a global movement for structure,
accessibility and consistency in a relatively short period of time, all
without it being in the least bit of a sexy subject.

Regards

Gavin

--------------------<
Gavin Chait is a data scientist and development economist at Whythawk.
uk.linkedin.com/in/gavinchait | twitter.com/GavinChait | gavinchait.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bahar Salimova
via groups.io
Sent: 14 April 2021 15:40
To: main@SIKM.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SIKM] World Bank examples?

Hello Ninez,

Thank you for this question. I recommend looking at our report on World
Bank's Knowledge Flow published in 2019 -
https://ieg.worldbankgroup.org/sites/default/files/Data/reports/kfc.pdf

It has both the examples of what has operationally worked well and where we
recommended the World Bank to fine-tune its knowledge flow. A note that some
institutional changes has happened in the World Bank since the release of
this report, but I think it provide a good overview.

You may also look into our older report on Knowledge-Based Country Programs
-
https://ieg.worldbankgroup.org/sites/default/files/Data/Evaluation/files/kbc
p_eval.pdf It is a but older but still shares some examples.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Bahar
-----Original Message-----
From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ninez
Piezas-Jerbi
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2021 2:28 AM
To: main@sikm.groups.io
Subject: [SIKM] World Bank examples?

[External]

Hello,

Was wondering if I could reach out to the experts in this community. Would
you know of specific examples of World Bank KM initiatives that have
directly and positively benefitted their Member States (and not just the
bank itself)? If there are links to them that would be helpful.

I'd be so grateful.

Many thanks,
Ninez
World Trade Organization


Ninez Piezas-Jerbi
 

Thank you, Gavin! Really helpful!

Best,
Ninez

On 16 Apr 2021, at 09:33, Gavin Chait <whythawk@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Ninez

I wrote this for the Bank a few years ago: Technical assessment of open data
platforms for national statistical organisations
https://documents.worldbank.org/en/publication/documents-reports/documentdet
ail/744241468334210686/technical-assessment-of-open-data-platforms-for-natio
nal-statistical-organisations

The objective was to build out open data publication technical capacity, and
provide a standards benchmark. There's also the Open Data Readiness
Assessment initiative http://opendatatoolkit.worldbank.org/en/odra.html

The results from open data initiatives have been mixed (my own project
experiences ranging from the amazing, to the frustratingly hostile), but it
helps to remember where even the Bank was a decade ago. Data management has
gone from randomly-structured spreadsheets released at random intervals to
random schemas and metadata definitions, to a global movement for structure,
accessibility and consistency in a relatively short period of time, all
without it being in the least bit of a sexy subject.

Regards

Gavin

--------------------<
Gavin Chait is a data scientist and development economist at Whythawk.
uk.linkedin.com/in/gavinchait | twitter.com/GavinChait | gavinchait.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bahar Salimova
via groups.io
Sent: 14 April 2021 15:40
To: main@SIKM.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SIKM] World Bank examples?

Hello Ninez,

Thank you for this question. I recommend looking at our report on World
Bank's Knowledge Flow published in 2019 -
https://ieg.worldbankgroup.org/sites/default/files/Data/reports/kfc.pdf

It has both the examples of what has operationally worked well and where we
recommended the World Bank to fine-tune its knowledge flow. A note that some
institutional changes has happened in the World Bank since the release of
this report, but I think it provide a good overview.

You may also look into our older report on Knowledge-Based Country Programs
-
https://ieg.worldbankgroup.org/sites/default/files/Data/Evaluation/files/kbc
p_eval.pdf It is a but older but still shares some examples.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Bahar
-----Original Message-----
From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ninez
Piezas-Jerbi
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2021 2:28 AM
To: main@sikm.groups.io
Subject: [SIKM] World Bank examples?

[External]

Hello,

Was wondering if I could reach out to the experts in this community. Would
you know of specific examples of World Bank KM initiatives that have
directly and positively benefitted their Member States (and not just the
bank itself)? If there are links to them that would be helpful.

I'd be so grateful.

Many thanks,
Ninez
World Trade Organization















Laura Zorrilla Fernandez
 

Thanks a lot for these reports from the WB! Always nice to see examples from IOs.